Address and accommodate student needs

By Daily Illini Editorial Board

On a campus with more than 40,000 students, it can be challenging to accommodate the needs of every single individual. We come from different backgrounds, different countries, different cultures, have different learning styles, different physical needs, so on and so forth. With such a large campus community, it would be borderline ridiculous to expect every single concern of every single student to be addressed, but where and when we can make changes we should, so that we can ensure a more comfortable living and learning environment. 

Recently, an email was sent to students living in Allen Residence Hall with a survey asking if they would be interested in a trial period for gender neutral bathrooms. The idea was received from students living at Allen Hall, along with students from the LGBT Resource Center on campus. 

If survey results show positive feedback, University Housing will flip one bathroom on one floor of Allen Hall to a gender neutral bathroom for one week in February. Students who feel uncomfortable will have the option to use different bathrooms on adjacent floors. After the pilot, University Housing will consult with focus groups to discuss the program and include long-term gender inclusive options. 

Current University policy states that whenever significant construction is done on a building, there has to be at least one gender neutral bathroom placed in the building, according to Stephanie Skora, the president of the Campus Union for Trans* Equality and Support.

When the University is able to acknowledge the needs of students and is able to work in unison with campus groups and organizations, it is just another step forward in improving our quality of life here, which we appreciate. 

Gender neutral bathrooms can provide more equality and comfort for a variety of students on campus, something that is important in promoting a welcoming environment. As a University community, we must continually make efforts toward inclusion and we must take into consideration the views and concerns of those on this campus. 

While we are still waiting to see the results of the survey, we hope the trial program runs. Gender and gender identity do not always fit into the structured binary that we often see in our society, and a chance to accommodate the needs of some students by approving gender neutral bathrooms would be worthwhile. For a campus so focused on diversity and inclusion, we should continue to spread the Inclusive Illinois movement and allow for the concerns of all students to be addressed and allow for their voices to be heard.