Party Patrol provides positive campus service

By Daily Illini Editorial Board

Life as a college student can sure get busy between various clubs, jobs, homework, papers and tests. As a result, many of us are no stranger to the concept of work hard, play harder. Sometimes, though, students may get just a little too rowdy — and often to a neighbor’s dismay. We understand the importance of having fun, but we also understand the frustration of being disturbed by a loud party nearby.

Luckily, however, there is one particular organization that helps keep some parties at bay and keeps some students from receiving tickets from police officers. At the same time, this organization helps keep police officers on the streets to deal with serious emergencies. 

The University of Illinois Police Department’s Party Patrol serves as what we’ve deemed the college-version of a hall monitor, policing and responding to noise complaints due to parties. While the Party Patrol may sound like a buzzkill (literally) to some, it is a highly beneficial amenity as it addresses the concerns of annoyed nearby neighbors and prevents party hosts from getting into trouble and receiving pocket-draining fines.

The Party Patrol division began 20 years ago by the police department so they did not need to take an officer off the street to break up parties, but instead could send a group of students and keep officers patrolling. The patrol operates from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. Thursday through Saturday night. 

Party patrollers speak with the owner of the house and give a written warning, urging the students to break up the party. 

We encourage students to take the Party Patrol organization seriously because the current system is much better than having a police officer come and give a $325 ticket. And, fortunately, as indicated in The Daily Illini today, people tend to comply with the party patrollers over 90 percent of the time, said Ryan Johnson, campus security coordinator for public safety.  

When it comes to Party Patrol, we’d much rather be greeted at the door by people who are taking the time to give warnings, rather than an annoyed police officer who could give a fine.

Living on a college campus definitely comes with the territory of rambunctious 20-something-year-olds, some of whom like to party. As such, we need to have various measures in place to address complaints and concerns by other students and people living on campus because ultimately these services are looking out for our safety and comfort.