Support for net neutrality

We have grown up in the age where our cell phones have transformed from brick-like Nokia phones with antennas to smartphones that allow us to find information with the swipe of a finger. We don’t want to wait ten seconds for anything to load, but we sure won’t pay for it either.

This is just one example of why net neutrality is so critically important in this day in age.

Net neutrality is the basic principle that we should have equal access to all online content. Whether you get your Internet service from Comcast, AT&T or Verizon, it means our providers can’t charge us more for “fast lanes” or for certain content. Just because our world has shifted from standing on soapboxes to typing on online forums doesn’t mean we have any less right to the freedom of speech protected under the first amendment.

In a 3-2 vote on Feb. 26, the Federal Communications Commission decided to adopt rules to protect the open Internet.

The issue has sparked controversy over the last few years locally, where community members recently rallied outside an AT&T store in Champaign in anticipation of the vote.

The matter is of such importance that some people such as Urbana Alderman Aaron Ammons and president of the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center Danielle Chynoweth define it as a public utility and a basic right to healthy democracy — sentiments which we agree with.

“I think it’s an important issue for citizens, because the internet now, in our age of technology, is essential for all households to have access to information and the way information flows and the way things change on a regular basis. It’s absolutely essential to a healthy democracy to make sure that people have access to information,” Ammons said at the rally.

According to the FCC’s website, the 2010 transparency rule, requiring Internet providers to be public with their management and performance practices, is still effective.

“This rule helps consumers make informed choices about their broadband service, and it gives edge providers technical information that helps them develop their business plans and assess risks,” the statement reads.

In addition, we strongly believe that as students, who require the use of a computer every day, an open Internet is an essential right.

Almost every class at the University now requires the online use of either Moodle or Compass 2G. Professors expect students to check in either to post in forums or stay updated on class content. Some courses are taught exclusively online.

To keep up with the way classes are taking advantage of online resources, and to keep up with the advancing technological world in general, we require the access of free and fast Internet. As such, the protection of net neutrality is a concept we stand behind.