Social media reactions to Jenner's transformation show insensitivity, prejudice

By Katrice Perkins

Caitlyn Jenner took over social media on Monday. Her coming-out Vanity Fair cover was sassy. Jenner looked gorgeous and fierce.

The cover was a brilliant idea, but problems arise when people don’t understand. 

Drake Bell drew attention on social media as well when he tweeted, “Still calling you Bruce.”

I don’t think people should be forced to accept what they don’t understand, but they should at least respect it. Jenner deserves the same respect as any other individual. I am a firm believer in treating people the way you would want to be treated.

Jenner’s transformation can be difficult for people who are not used to change to wrap their heads around. Some of the crude comments about Jenner show the ignorance and transphobic beliefs some people hold. 

Jenner received a lot of support from other celebrities. Even President Obama posted a tweet expressing admiration for the courage Caitlyn showed in sharing her story. It was very cool to see POTUS commenting on such an interesting trending topic, even if he might not handle his own Twitter account.

Although people have the right to freedom of speech, some are being insensitive to Caitlyn’s transformation. There are those who believe that it’s not serious and is only being used to gain publicity.

There are even some people who support Jenner just because they don’t want to be ridiculed or called a transphobe. I think this shows nothing but hypocrisy. 

If someone doesn’t have anything nice to say, then they shouldn’t say anything. The cover was blown out of proportion because so many people had negative things to say. 

There were hundreds of memes that flooded social media sites. Some were positive, but many were mean and insensitive. People do things to make others laugh without thinking of others’ feelings on the subject. It happens constantly and is one of the downsides of social media.

It’s great that people like Caitlyn Jenner and Laverne Cox are being courageous by sharing their stories and shedding light on the LGBT — and specifically transgender — community. By being open about their transformations, it also allows people to be educated on the topic and not resort to speculations.

I am proud of Jenner, and I am proud that so many people are supportive. It shows courage to transform in the public eye. I hope that in the future, people will be allowed to be themselves without being judged so heavily.

I’m sure there’s more to be said by Jenner, and I look forward to hearing more about her transformation in the future.