Faults in removing religion from holiday season

By Courtney Boyer

A culture of political correctness has come about in the society of today.

This culture has the tendency to make people overlook the good in one another. This culture can also confuse identities existing in humans with things that are taboo topics of conversation, instead of seeing them as something to bring people closer together. One of these things is the right to believe and practice your own religion.

This right has recently come under scrutiny after several controversies surrounding holiday greetings and Christmas in general, including the recent Starbucks holiday cups controversy, the banning of Christmas trees and store greeters being told to say “Happy Holidays” as opposed to a tailored holiday greeting. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/09/starbucks-removed-christmas-from-their-cups-because-they-hate-jesus-christian-says-in-viral-facebook-video/ http://www.theblaze.com/news/war-on-christmas/ (fm)

People should be able to exercise the right to express their religious beliefs — no matter what they are — around the holiday season, without running the risk of being persecuted for it.

People of all religions have been hassled in the past for their beliefs, whether by the media or by people around them. People who are Jewish, Christian, Muslim, atheist or any other creed have one thing in common: the ability to decide what they believe for themselves.

Given the nature of this modern-day society, it’s not uncommon for people to be bullied for their beliefs. It is wrong to push around anyone for their religious beliefs, and it is no secret that people of any religion do not wish to get persecuted for their religions either.

The holiday season should be a reminder of this right, instead of a time to tear down other religions. Human beings need to remember that we are all of the same species, and we are vastly more alike than we are different.

We all deserve the right to celebrate this joyful time of year.

By expressing these beliefs in public by saying “Merry Christmas,” “Happy Hanukkah” or “Happy Kwanza,” individuals are simply taking pride in what they believe. They are not pushing their religion onto anybody by saying this, they are exercising their right to religious freedom.

We have become prone to shying away from people who think differently than us, and instead of seeing our differences as a bad thing, we should celebrate our ability to think and to have different ideas.

Ben Stein, American writer, actor and commentator on political issues once said as a Jewish man that it “doesn’t bother me a bit when people say ‘Merry Christmas’ to me … In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this time of year.” http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/confessions.asp (fm)

As a society, we can do a better job of being more accepting of others’ beliefs, even when they clash with our own. By showing equal respect to all, we can not only earn respect ourselves, but we can begin to change the culture we live in.

As a society, we need to do our best to diminish some of the pervasive aspects of political correctness.

Political correctness has created a culture where religious individualism is discouraged and looked down upon, and beliefs are not to be displayed in public. This culture encourages individuals to celebrate behind closed doors, when really our culture should be more accepting of all religions, especially during the holiday season.

John Haltiwanger, economist, writes, “political correctness is a form of censorship and an impediment to free speech, in the sense that it’s a phrase used to shame people into silence.” This is what is happening with holiday greetings; people of different religions are being told not to tailor their greeting to their religion, but to use a blanket term instead, thus silencing them into conformity. http://elitedaily.com/news/politics/political-correctness-bullsht-hurting-society/920643/. http://www.foxbusiness.com/business-leaders/2013/04/19/real-impact-political-correctness/ (fm)

The need for respect and acceptance for one another’s beliefs has never been this important. Without it, this culture runs a risk of allowing religious persecution or silence, something our country does not need. Young people, being the next generation, have the opportunity to turn this around in the upcoming years and teach their children religious acceptance, instead of being offended by a religion that is not their own.

This holiday season, if someone approaches you and delivers a holiday greeting, simply return it; contribute to a society of acceptance and respect for one another’s beliefs.

Courtney is a sophomore in LAS.?