Catholic Church misguided in condemning Girl Scouts

By Isabella Winkler

Archbishop Robert Carlson of St. Louis released a letter to Girl Scouts of the U.S.A detailing numerous examples of their viewpoints and affiliations that oppose those of the Catholic Church on Thursday, Feb 18. AGHe even told churchgoers to “act in accord with their conscience” AGwhile deciding whether or not to buy the organization’s famous cookies. http://archstl.org/scoutingAG

Last June, Girl Scouts, a secular organization, took a stance on transgender issues when they refused to accept a $100,000 donation accompanied by the condition that the group would not include transgender girlsAG. Instead, GSUSA turned the negativity into a campaign, promising to welcome every girl to their troops.AG Further, the organization has been known to teach their scouts about issues involving reproductive rights and sex education, which are in direct opposition to Carlson’s and the church’s views.

Carlson urged eastern Missouri churches to rethink their affiliations with Girl Scouts and instead look for different youth leadership groups to support.

“In addition, recent concerns about GSUSA and their position on and inclusion of transgender and homosexual issues are proving problematic,” Carlson said.AG “While Catholics are called to treat all people with compassion and mercy, we must at the same time be mindful of whom we allow to teach and form our youth and the messages they present.”

GSUSA has had a 100-year relationship with the Catholic Church, and their recent disconnects are indicative of society’s own weakening relationship with the church. In May 2015, Pew Research Center released a study detailing the decline of Christianity in the U.S. The study shows that more Americans than ever either do not identify with a religion or deem their lack of religion an unimportant aspect of their lives. http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/AG

Carlson’s attack on GSUSA is just the latest instance of the loosening ties the church has with modern society. As Girl Scouts decide to take a progressive, socially conscious approach to the lessons they teach young girls, the church is fighting to institute their traditional values wherever they still have the chance.

In this progressing and more secular world, we see more and more instances of the weakening gender binary. Target’s decision to eradicate gender-specific signs in toy aisles AGsparked a dialogue about how society teaches children to act pertaining to gender norms. Girls are expected to play with dainty, fragile dolls, while boys’ toys are of the destructive, world-domination type. We see Girl Scouts challenging these norms by inviting girls to illustrate their identities while exploring their respective faiths and still being leaders and role models.AG

Some people might cite this as another “War on Christianity,” but it’s just the latest in a series of efforts to empower young girls to free themselves from societal expectations.

Carlson’s remarks make it seem as if Girl Scouts are a threat to society, but in reality there is no better organization for parents to trust with their daughters. Public schools fail to teach the lessons that GSUSA has taken on the responsibility of teaching. When John Oliver schooled the nation on sex ed during his talk show, he revealed only 13 states in the U.S require that sex education in public schools is medically accurate.AG Regardless of what the church thinks, these lessons are critical to young girls and GSUSA is right to educate their scouts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0jQz6jqQS0

Carlson’s request for Catholics to stop supporting GSUSA after 100 years is another step in the wrong direction. The Catholic Church has a chance to further their involvement with GSUSA by encouraging these girls to explore their faith, but their choice to completely cut ties with the group lets young girls know that they are not worthy of the church’s support.

Girl Scouts’ mission is to “[build] girls of courage, confidence, and character who make the world a better place.” Supporting Girl Scouts is the church’s chance to be on the right side of female empowerment, but instead the rhetoric they spew demonizes the little girls who take part in the organization.

In a world where institutions are threatened by the prospect of females taking on leadership roles, there’s no harm in letting GSUSA take on the responsibility of shifting this paradigm. http://www.girlscouts.org/en/about-girl-scouts/who-we-are.htmlAG

Isabella is a freshman in ACES.