Kim Kardashian-West's nude selfie, and society's double standards

By Isabella Winkler

Kim Kardashian-West posted a selfie on Twitter completely nude last week, with only black censor bars leaving anything to the imaginationJT. The picture sparked national outrage: some were offended by her choice as a mother, some were quick to defend her and some brushed it off as a publicity stunt.

This incident and the reactions that followed are parallel with women’s overall treatment in the media.

When Chris Pratt posts shirtless pictures on Instagram, he doesn’t have Bette Midler demanding that he use his sexual attention for charity. When Justin Bieber was pictured naked on a boat with another woman, Pink didn’t insist that he send a message to other men reminding them that they are worth more than their bodies.

When any male celebrity poses nude or posts a completely intentional naked picture, he’s not criticized or called a bimbo — his reputation is secured by societal standards.

In fact, Buzzfeed has showcased its obsession with shirtless pictures of Zac Efron by continuously documenting these pictures on their website — and nobody bats an eye. He is still taken seriously as an actor. Kardashian-West’s picture proves what happens when the roles are reversed.

Kardashian-West received all of the above reactions, proving the existence of these double standards. There is a belief within society that once a woman births a child, she needs to immediately buy a mini-van, get a Kate Gosselin haircut, and trade in her wardrobe for sweater sets and mom jeans.

But no male celebrity is seen differently once he becomes a father; Kim’s husband, Kanye West, is known for his narcissistic, sexist and irreverent tendencies, yet he’s not questioned for his role as a parent. Between publicly humiliating Taylor Swift, whom he insisted is only famous because of his degrading Grammy’s stunt, and repeatedly slut shaming his ex-girlfriend Amber Rose, there is no doubt that West has little respect for women.JT

But during his latest insane Twitter rants, nobody questions how West’s beliefs or actions might affect his children. His actions are seen as entertaining; while some might be weary of them, they never bring up the fact that he’s a father. His wife’s actions, on the other hand, are put under a microscope and scrutinized with regards to how it will affect her children.

People ask, “What will the kids think when they find out their mom’s a whore?” But not, “What will they think when they find out their dad’s a sexist sociopath?”

Even on International Women’s Day, the biggest critics of Kim’s picture were other women. Actress Chloë Grace Moretz felt the need to remind her how important it is to set standards for young women, essentially saying that that once you’re married with children, you have to give up any sovereignty you once had over your sexuality.

And at least the picture was consensual and intentional and not accompanied by the words “leaked” or “hacked.” A woman posting a picture of her own body on her own terms without being betrayed by an online hacker is hard to come by these days.

None of this is to say that Kardashian-West is an admirable woman. She has rarely stood up for other women, and seems to only care about female empowerment when it’s for her own gain.

But the double standard that Kardashian-West faced is not the last time a woman will be treated this way in the media, and her questionable motives still shouldn’t lead to unfair outrage.

Whether or not she had female empowerment in mind when posting this picture is irrelevant. Kardashian-West, and all women, should be able to post whatever they want on social media, but that wouldn’t be consistent with society’s internalized sexism. Men will continue to be swooned over, while women will be told to cover up to earn respect.

Isabella is a freshman in ACES.