Why you should reconsider skipping class

By Isabella Winkler, Columnist

As syllabus week comes and goes, both incoming and returning students get a chance to meet professors, sample new stacks of classes and set a precedent for the rest of the semester. And I’m not just talking about which frats we’ll be frequenting.

But the start of the second week brings a harsh reality; the rest of the semester isn’t the bubble that is syllabus week. If you thought you could afford missing that lecture just because you got out 20 minutes early last Friday afternoon, you’re wrong.

Incoming freshmen will soon find out that their newfound freedom, particularly the option to not go to class, should be taken with a grain of salt.

Some of you will be given that inch and take a mile instead. Just because you now have that freedom doesn’t mean you should take advantage of it.Showing up is the biggest part of the show.

Every nap that you take in place of a single lecture or discussion costs you about $73, considering the average tuition and credit hours of an undergraduate student at the University. And if you pay out-of-state tuition, those naps become more expensive.

If you can afford to take a $70 nap then more power to you, but most college students are too frugal for such luxuries. If money isn’t enough of an incentive to attend class, then consider the bigger picture.

You’ll soon learn that GPA is your most defining characteristic. I know what you’re thinking: What could be more important than your ACT score? Trust me, those iClicker points play a big role.

Even more important than showing up is the effort you put into your classes. Make showing up worth it. I’m no stranger to drifting off during a lecture, but I learned the consequences quickly.

Scrambling to teach yourself material that you already paid to learn is tougher than buying a cup of coffee and staying awake during class.

Also, consider the fact that college is a privilege and not a right. You’re lucky enough to have the opportunity to get a higher education: a privilege some people could only dream of having. So every time you decide not to go to class, think about someone who could be in your place if only they had the resources and opportunity you have.

As the semester continues, we will keep checking off our lists of required Gen-Eds with giant 9 a.m. lectures and never-ending Powerpoints.

The next time you contemplate skipping class, just remember: pain is temporary, but GPA is forever.

Isabella is a sophomore in ACES.