Exiling Tiffany Trump won’t solve her father’s problems

TNS

Tiffany Trump, Donald Trump’s daughter, speaks on the second day of the Republican National Convention. Columnist Jamie Linton believes exiling the president’s daughter is unproductive.

By Jamie Linton, Columnist

New York Fashion Week is no longer merely an expression of haute couture collections debuted in front of publication elites. 

Not unlike the advertisements and performances during the Super Bowl, it now seems as if every high-coverage event includes an element of political commentary to follow — and New York Fashion Week is no exception.

At last week’s Philipp Plein show, it’s reported that audience members downgraded from prime front row territory to avoid sitting next to Tiffany Trump. 

Although reports indicate that other members later filled the spaces, the Internet never forgets something like that.  Some critiqued the industry for “bullying” Trump while others supported the action.

Despite the youngest Trump daughter’s minimal involvement in her father’s campaign and administration compared to her sister, Ivanka, the choice to isolate Tiffany was supposedly a political statement.

The 2016 presidential election was the most divisive of our lifetime, and it’s a personal choice as to whether someone’s views regarding that election should affect your relationship with them. 

Considering that the fashion industry is primarily liberal, it’s understandable that audience members would be less than thrilled with Tiffany’s attendance.

Historically, when a nation falls upon tough times, the public tends to turn toward entertainment for relief; however, this has been difficult recently as the entertainment industry is incorporating political statements into their acts.  As frustrating as this is, we’re normalizing these issues by not addressing them. 

If a public figure has a large following, ignoring their place in society as an influential person is irresponsible.

Although most of us aren’t shelling out $1,500 for some space on a bench, this situation is all too familiar for those of us who interact with a variety of people on a daily basis.  No matter which side of the political spectrum you fall, the United States’ sociopolitical climate is so fragile at the moment that one’s voting history can make or break a relationship.

In the past, if someone checked a different name on the ballot, you could maintain a friendship by avoiding discussing politics; however, now that our president’s views are so extreme, many believe that the decision to agree with him speaks to one’s character rather than just a mere component of their personality.

Although I don’t believe that avoiding sitting shoulder to shoulder with Tiffany Trump will reverse the president’s stance on immigration or revoke his access to nuclear codes, being uncomfortable is justified in this situation.  Nevertheless, ignoring Tiffany is stooping down to the level of bullying we’re trying to avoid.

Jamie is a freshman in Media.