Letter to the Editor: Protect and empower survivors of sexual assault

By Grace Kim

A series of sexual assault allegations have recently come to light, and more allegations are pouring in as women find the courage to come forward about their own stories.

For many women, it has been a continuous battle. For others, the battle has just begun. Women all over the nation are standing firm to hold the men accountable for their demeaning actions. Sexual assault survivors are finally being heard and believed. We have seen in the media the list of sexual predators who are facing consequences as a result of these allegations. News outlets are updating their lists of the accused as allegations continue to be made.

These women, who have come forward against the powerful and wealthy men of our nation, have paved the way for women who are still in fear of reporting. Sexual assault is often challenging to prove, and this has averted survivors from taking legal action. As a result, only 310 out of every 1,000 sexual assaults are reported to the police. That means about 2 out of 3 sexual assaults go unreported.

As a nation we need to protect the individuals who disclose their experience of sexual violence and bring the perpetrators to justice. It is important that we empower and support the women rather than shifting the blame or accusing them of lying.

Please speak to your local congressional representative to create legislation that addresses this issue and protects those who reveal that they have been sexually assaulted. Let your voice be heard.

Grace is a graduate student in Social Work.