Appreciate the differences of school and home

By Ellen Barczak, Columnist

Spring break has come and gone. Whether you did something exciting or not, it was probably too quick.

Once on break, my older brother had the option to stay home a few more days or to go back to school and start some work. When my mom asked what he planned on doing, he responded, “An object at rest likes to stay at rest.” He stayed for three more days.

Like many of you, I went to my hometown for the break, and, perhaps like many of you, I noticed a strange regression of my own behavior once I found myself in the rhythm of home.

Something mysterious happens when my mom takes care of me. At school I’m independent, responsible and do everything for myself without complaint. Dishes? No problem. Laundry? Even better. Going places? It’s my favorite.

Suddenly, I’m in the suburbs. Suddenly, I cannot make myself a cup of tea. Suddenly, the thought of leaving the house makes me cringe — especially if I’m charged with accomplishing any sort of task. It’s kind of pathetic.

Perhaps some of you experience a similar phenomenon, perhaps not. I do happen to have an exceptionally nice mom who enjoys taking care of my brother and me.

Being college-aged is interesting; it feels as if you’re straddling the bridge between childhood and adulthood. You have responsibility, but not too much (especially if you live in the dorms). You have obligations, but let’s be honest, skipping class isn’t always consequential.

We’re not adults. We’re also not kids. What are we, then? Just some tired, stressed and confused humans who are supposed to be doing… our best? Yikes.

Going home provides you with a break from this exciting, busy, ill-defined time in life. You get to be a kid again, without question, for a few days. Have some fruit snacks, a Capri Sun and you’re all set.

As magical as this brief reprieve can feel, however, the spell must inevitably be broken. Exams and papers loom above like clouds coming to rob you of your at-home bliss.

So here we are, back in the swing of things, dealing with all that work we definitely could have done earlier but definitely will put off for as long as possible. Those graduating in May must especially feel the pressure of the end of the semester.

As difficult as college is, though, let’s not forget about what makes it so good — the friends, the freedom and the fun. Breaks are great, of course, but school truly is better. Take the good with the bad and appreciate every day for what it is. Amid all that hard work, take a few minutes to realize how lucky you are to have a school like this to come home to.

Ellen is a freshman in LAS.