Change majors for your own sake

By Claire Joyce, Columnist

During the first semester of freshman year, I found myself sitting in lecture and the professor began talking about the different types of birds in Illinois. I immediately thought to myself, “I need to get out of here.”

A few days ago, I changed my major from environmental science to political science. It finally feels like things are heading in the right direction for my career and passion. As I’m about to choose my second semester classes, it is a huge relief to look through prospective courses on self-service and actually feel good about it.

But this sense of relief didn’t feel natural until my acceptance into the college the other day. The two-and-a-half semesters leading up to this change, however, weren’t exactly a walk in the park.

Some people stick with the same major they started with, and some people change their major eight times before they graduate. The point is that you end up graduating with the major you feel most confident with — not the one you were too reluctant to change from.

Beginning college at the University last fall, I was excited to start my career as an environmental scientist. I could picture my life in lab or doing field work producing research. I have always loved the STEM field and I was extremely passionate about environmental conservation and activism.

This sense of confidence soon faded. I no longer felt like I could comfortably call myself an environmental scientist for the rest of my life. Even worse — at the same time, I wasn’t completely ready to let this major go.

As the semester started, there was even more of an opportunity to take courses outside of environmental science. Powering through career fairs and talking with other students and professors on campus was even more of a wake-up call.

But instead of feeling relief for being introduced to so many other areas of study, it felt overwhelming knowing I was going to abandon the plan I was once so certain of for something so unknown.

There was also an immense sense of pressure to quickly find a new one. In order to avoid tough conversations and interrogations, I didn’t want to tell friends and family, at least until there was a concrete plan for a new one.

In trying to make sure other people don’t worry about your future, we make it harder to focus on ourselves. Students shouldn’t feel afraid or embarrassed because their original plan isn’t the exact one they end up following.

Instead, students should be proud of realizing the situation they’re in, and being brave enough to create a new one.

Claire is a sophomore in LAS.