Black History Month is a form of reparation

By Chantelle Hicks, Columnist

Black History Month is American history.

Many will disagree with this statement; some might even say it isn’t necessary to have an entire month designated to African American culture. Many of my colleagues share these same views. They don’t understand why having a month dedicated to one culture is necessary.

I overheard a conversation where one student stated: “How come there isn’t a European History Month?” I laughed in disbelief as he continued on with his conversation. When we are taught European history 365 days of the year, every month becomes “European History Month.”

In order to graduate from high school, you have to take United States history. In these textbooks, we aren’t taught the history of African American people in detail. So, what about African American culture? Because it goes far beyond slavery. Why isn’t a specific course required in our public schools? Why is it just an option?

After slavery was abolished in the United States, Union General William Tecumseh Sherman promised all slaves 40 acres of land and a mule — things of which no slave ever received. The least the United States government the people who forcefully enslaved and tortured millions of black citizens for years could do is pay homage to their culture.

African American history is American history.  We don’t recognize and celebrate this month just because we are victims of a corrupt and oppressive system. We contributed to society, not only through physical labor, but through the numerous innovations which helped push this nation forward.

For example, the traffic signal was invented by Garrett Morgan, a black man. The ice cream scoop was invented by Alfred L. Cralle. The first mechanical clothing dryer was invented by George T. Sampson. The first ever ironing board was created by a black woman by the name of Sarah Boone.

The list goes on and on. African Americans played a vital role in developing America into the society we know and love today.

Black History Month is cherished by millions of black children across the world, including myself. I remember being in elementary school anticipating the arrival of February because it meant I would get to learn more about where I came from. It was the one time during the school year when we would have plays, poems and different lessons which would finally teach me about people who looked like me.

So much of American culture is whitewashed, and often it leaves young people of color questioning their place in this world. Black History Month is the one time where everyone, regardless of race, has to acknowledge we are here, we matter and we created and are creating history. Considering the many lives lost, tears shed and blood bled, Black History Month is the smallest form of reparation millions of African Americans need. Black history is American history.  

Chantelle is a sophomore in Media.