Letter to the Editor | Financial tips for undergraduates

By Charles Adeniyi

Financial stability is one of the most important aspects of college students’ well-being. As I began graduate studies this year, I started to think about the unique financial aspects of being an undergraduate student and how they affect entry into adulthood. Students are typically introduced to independence from their parents and financial freedom their freshman year. They’re eventually presented with invitations to go out, eat, party and shop. Though having fun is one part of college, managing expenses while having fun is key to future success. Here are some tips on saving money that had a significant impact on my financial freedom and general well-being.

1. Don’t buy brand new textbooks. Check online for used textbooks. Amazon and Chegg are reliable sites. Also, check your school’s library. They sometimes allow students to rent textbooks for a period of time.

2. Always keep your student ID handy. Certain clothing stores, tech companies, local restaurants and chain stores offer discounts to students. When shopping or eating, make sure to ask about student discounts before ordering.

3. If possible, find a part-time campus job. The hours are flexible, and they usually accommodate class schedules. It’s also a good way to start resume building while making extra cash.

4. Lastly, students should continue to explore scholarships and grants while in school. The extra aid could give them the cushion needed to thrive.

In general, following these tips can improve your finances, which might lead to less stress, more fun and better grades.

Charles is a graduate student in Social Work.