Opinion | Latin American progressivism struggles to overcome American influence

Photo courtesy of Paulo Slachevsky/Flickr/The Conversationalist

Gabriel Boric becoming Chile’s youngest president on Dec. 19. Columnist Axel Almanza argues that Latin America struggles in progression from American intervention and influence.

By Axel Almanza, Columnist

Fantastic news in Chile: It’s having its first progressive president since 1973. Gabriel Boric, the leftist candidate, becomes Chile’s youngest president elected. With his opponent representing conservative neoliberalism values and opposition to equality and science, citizens wanted something better. 

Recently in Chile, water has become privatized and consumer prices have soared to the point citizens can’t afford it. With this event occurring at such a pivotal time and awkward place — America once influencing Chile to adopt neoliberalism, yet now its citizens vote against it. Yet, there is still so much to go to advance citizens’ livelihoods.

In other politically shifting Central and South American states, crises burst out.

In the past year, caravans from Central American countries were slowly making their way to Mexico to enter the United States “illegally.” Mind you, the civil war in both Guatemala and El Salvador ended in the 1990s: Their immense violence prevented normal lives in these struggling countries.

After 30 years, there is no sustainability to living in these states. With these governments doing very little to deal with the disasters left by the wars, their citizens are left with no other choice but to immigrate. Still, you would think after something bad happens, people would come together to help others get out of a dark situation, but in this case, they are helpless.

Even in Cuba, where little hope is found to better the lives of citizens, citizens confront countless human rights violations. In Cuba, citizens are prevented from helping one another. A person could be fighting for better housing conditions, and suddenly the government attacks them for bringing to light the revolting conditions.

It feels impossible to fight for the causes you care for when you get punished for speaking up. Although the Cuban embargo was established in the 1960s, it exists today harming numerous Cubans by blocking necessary aid like medicine. Even President Barack Obama, head of American foreign policy (which started this mess), acknowledged “The embargo is outdated and should be lifted.”

Finally, America is beginning to grasp its impact on Latin America.

Today and yesterday, Latin America struggles to keep its citizens safe and happy in their country. Due to America’s coup-past in the regions, America successfully spread neoliberalism and instilled poverty to prevent (and delay) the rise of progressivism.

Yes, it’s great that Chile is finally going to improve and do better for its citizens, yet we can’t applaud a fish for swimming. Citizens voted for change and better help, and that’s a government’s purpose. But Latin America can only thrive and grow without outside influences – especially from America. We must discuss how the U.S. should stop intervening in politics that is not their own.

For now, we can celebrate Boric’s election, but we must still be vigilant about the other puppet states that have not cut their strings yet.

Axel is a sophomore in LAS.