Letter to the Editor: Vote Yes on University divestment

By Richard Daniels

The Israeli-Palestinian conflict caught my in-depth attention during the Summer of 2014, when over 1,500 Palestinian civilians, 500 of them children, were killed in just two months.

As someone who does not have any cultural, religious or otherwise personal connection to either side of the conflict, I decided that I would delve into the issue as a neutral voice. By reading some of the most prominent authors on the issue, I began to see the bigger picture.

The Israeli government’s most evaluative and reasonable critics have in fact been Jews themselves. From this, I quickly realized that the criticisms against Israel were not, and still are not, in any way anti-semitic. Claiming “anti-semitism” has become an easy way to avoid dealing with the severe human rights violations that the IDF and Israeli government carry out.

I am writing this letter as a human rights activist who is in favor of divesting from any company that contributes to human rights violations.

A major concern of the international human rights community has been the destruction of Palestinian communities in the West Bank in order to build Israeli settlements. The Israeli leadership normally turns a blind eye to these ongoings, but recently, the Knesset has become so right-winged that they are now approving, and aiding, these blatant human rights abuses.

Companies that the University is heavily invested in, like Caterpillar, are selling their products to aid the demolition of Palestinian communities.

On March 8-9, we have a chance to tell our administration that our investments should be ethical. Voting yes to the divestment referendum does not in any way, shape or form divide this campus.

In fact, it unites the overwhelmingly progressive student body with their administration to fight regimes that violate human rights not just in Palestine, but throughout the world.

Richard Daniels is a student in FAA.