Opinion | Campus polarization kills productive dialogue

Photo courtesy of @ssl.uiuc Instagram

Members of the Students for Socialism and Liberation and the C-U Party for Socialism and Liberation gather outside Foellinger Auditorium as a walk out of the Jeff Sessions event on Feb. 2. Columnist Jude Race argues that people should be more open-minded when it comes to engaging with others with different beliefs.

By Jude Race, Columnist

On March 2, I went to a workshop hosted by the Department of Political Science titled “The Art of Disagreement.” The other students and I contrasted dialogue, debate and discussed tolerance for alternative perspectives, among other topics. In all, it was an excellent chance to reflect on how we engage with people we disagree with. 

However, only a dozen other students attended the workshop. 

I would’ve hoped for a higher turnout, but it goes to show how little our campus community cares about having polite, productive political discourse. Sadly, this is but one symptom of political polarization on our campus, the great destroyer of opportunities for dialogue. 

The outcome of this polarization surrounds us; a hostile, groupthink-infested echo chamber that hypocritically touts its dedication to diversity and inclusion while shutting down challengers to the status quo.

Last month, the echo chamber paraded their startling disregard for civil disagreement when they raged against former Attorney General Jeff Sessions speaking at an on-campus event. The Illinois Student Government even passed a resolution condemning the event, seeming to forget the part of their mission statement about “safeguarding the rights of the students.” 

But I suppose protecting free speech only matters to ISG when they agree with what’s said.

Drawing from a past column of mine, it’s easier to discuss opposing beliefs when we don’t obscure them with censorship. Otherwise, good luck talking with someone whose beliefs you refuse to hear or understand.

Good luck talking to the 47% of Americans who want increased police funding, the 48% who believe illegal immigrants worsen their communities or the 60% who think our nation should remain the lone military superpower. Most of these people aren’t racist, xenophobic imperialists — they’re expressing in good faith what they see as the best path forward for America.

For those on the other side of the aisle: Good luck talking to the 44% of Americans who don’t think they must believe in God to be moral, the 53% who feel gun laws should be stricter or the 61% who want the minimum wage raised to $15 an hour. Those who believe these things aren’t satanic, tyrannical communists — they’re also people who want what’s best for their country.

Some students on the left and right may object to entertaining each other’s ideas as they believe the other side is undermining their basic rights. However, I encourage them to remember that no one has the right answer to every problem — otherwise, we would’ve already done what would’ve so obviously remedied the issues we face. 

If partisans think there’s an undeniably correct answer to every problem, they must then explain why tens of millions of Americans choose to ignore the better option staring them in the face. These Americans aren’t ignorant; they just opted for another path to the same goals we all share: good health, peace and economic prosperity for all. 

Given the diversity of views in our nation, college should prepare us to interact with people from all walks of life, not just those who hold the same values and beliefs as us. We can never be prepared for the world if we insist on shutting out the ideas we dislike, find personally hurtful or label as politically incorrect. 

And yes, this includes the beliefs of Nazis, Maoists and other repugnant ideologues; if you do not understand their beliefs, you can never effectively address them. Only by listening to the people we disagree with can we lessen polarization and prepare ourselves for the world awaiting us at graduation. 

So, Illini, why not try a little open-mindedness? 

Jude is a senior in LAS.