Freedom of choice doesn’t go unaccounted for

By Thaddeus Chatto

Allow me to start by saying that you are an adult. And one thing about being an adult is having the freedom to make your own choices in life.

You sign up for the clubs you want to join on Quad Day. You even register for the classes you want to take.

And sometimes the choices you make don’t always turn out so well.

For instance, last Saturday night, Oklahoma State University basketball player Marcus Smart let his emotions get the best of him and shoved a fan of the opposing team.

He may not have been thinking too clearly because the fan got under his skin, but regardless, he shoved a fan. That definitely wasn’t the smartest thing to do, but he made his choice, and I’m sure he is regretting it.

If you make a mistake, it’s important to take away something useful and valuable to not commit that mistake again.

I believe that with every mistake is a lesson to be learned.

I hope students that were involved in the sexist and racist attacks toward Chancellor Phyllis Wise have learned their lesson the hard way.

Even students who were not involved in the hateful tweets have learned a lesson or two over this incident.

It’s been about two weeks, and we — the student body — have had plenty of time to reflect on the events that occurred and what subsequently followed.

Personally, I feel one lesson that should be learned is that we are old enough to make choices for ourselves, and if we make bad ones, then we have to live with them.

We decide how to live our lives.

You chose to be a part of this University. You chose to go out to the bars Thursday night. You even chose to watch another episode of “The Walking Dead” on Netflix, even though it’s already midnight, and you have class at 8 a.m.

My teaching assistant for one of my communication courses, Natalie White, said it perfectly. She told my class that if the weather gets bad and you think it’s unsafe to go out, then make the decision yourself and don’t go to class. She said we are adults that can make decisions for ourselves.

She is completely right.

We’re old enough to make those choices. Don’t just gripe and whine until something goes your way.

If you think the snow and cold is too much to handle, then just don’t go to class.

That was the root of the whole problem. Students wanted the University to cancel classes, so they would have a free day and not be penalized for skipping.

News flash: No one is making you go to class. Maybe your parents have a say because they are financially enabling you to attend this University, but they aren’t here holding your hand as you walk to class. Just remember that you are accountable for your own decisions.

You might miss out on notes, participation points or even a quiz. It’s your responsibility to make sure you make up what you missed.

I’ll admit that I also thought it was extremely cold that day. What I did was put on an extra sweater and whip on the warmest pair of socks I own.

If your concern was slipping on ice, then the solution is to leave a little bit earlier to class to avoid walking quickly and risk falling on your bum.

When I got to my lecture for “Strategies of Communication” the next morning of the incident, I was surprised to see so many students in attendance. It clearly showed that a majority of students cared more about their education than the hazards associated with the cold weather.

With every mistake is a lesson to be learned.

I hope Marcus Smart has learned that his actions, although an understandable response to being heckled, was a choice — and it came with consequences.

And in light of everything that has happened recently, I hope students have learned that the choices we make can lead to consequences that can be either good or bad.

Let’s just hope for the future that our choices lead to good outcomes.

Thaddeus is a senior in LAS. He can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @Thaddingham.