Greek philanthropies shatter student misconceptions

By Rebecca Kapolnek

On crisp autumn days bursts of activity can be heard from the confines of “Frat Park.” Tug-of-war, dodgeball, mud wrestling and flag football are among the sports played, and flocks of sorority girls and fraternity men gather together in hopes of winning the grand prize.

But what might not meet the eye of students passing by is that these seemingly wild competitions are actually bringing in thousands of dollars for prestigious charities around the world. Philanthropy is not just another excuse to get drunk and run around outside as many might think. Because “Frat Park” tends to be the only thing that comes to mind when most students think about philanthropy, assumptions come to the surface about what the true meaning of philanthropy is.

Philanthropy is much more than playing childhood games; it is a major way our University gives back and one of the many reasons I joined the Greek system.

Each Greek chapter at the University has a national philanthropy for which they work to raise money every single year. Dinners and sporting competitions are among the activities presented by each chapter and each house has developed their own events throughout the decades, including more personal interactions with the charities they support. Before I became involved with Sigma Kappa, I fell victim to the same assumptions I see many non-affiliated students making.

I saw that during these sporting competitions some members of the organizations were drinking and getting rowdy and I wondered what impact these events really had on their philanthropies.

When I decided to join my sorority two years ago I was quickly educated on my house’s philanthropy, Alzheimer’s Association, and I learned what exactly we would be doing.

I was blown away.

In addition to hosting an ultimate frisbee competition and a taco dinner, Sigma Kappa visits an Alzheimer’s care facility once a month to play games and do crafts with the residents. Seeing the look on their faces when we come by, and knowing that we might be the only visitor they get all month, instills in me a sense of pride and compassion.

With this, my previous opinions of philanthropy being a drunken, “Hunger Games” scene was squashed, and I was anxious to see what other impact the University Greek system was making.

Traditionally, fraternity men have taken most of the brunt for exploiting philanthropy and turning it into just another excuse to drink, but the reality states that fraternities have brought in even more money than some sororities on campus.

Pi Kappa Phi, one of these fraternities, raises funds each year for PUSH America, a charity benefitting people with disabilities. Last year Pi Kappa Phi raised over $10,000 for PUSH and hopes to exceed that number this year with their games tournament, date auction and empathy dinner. In addition, the men send 10-20 people out to Champaign-Urbana Special Recreation every single week to help out and play games with people who have disabilities. 

Continuing with these profound statistics, the ladies of Alpha Delta Pi have contributed over $2 million to the Ronald McDonald House Charities nationally. These ladies also travel out to the Ronald McDonald House in Springfield, Ill. to assist in some cleaning and to cook meals for the families at least once a semester. Also, the ladies of Chi Omega logged over 300 hours of community service in just the first three weeks of school. They have raised over $27,000 for the past three years and have granted wishes for five Make-A-Wish children.

This alone proves that the Greek system and their philanthropies is something to be taken seriously.

Philanthropy, like the Greek life, has a focus on doing good things for others while having a great time. Being able to play dodgeball with my sisters and fraternity friends while donating to a meaningful cause is what college is all about.

In the end, I know that statistics alone will not change students’ opinions immediately. But jumping to conclusions and assuming that the Greek system doesn’t truly make a difference is naïve and completely inaccurate.

Regardless if the money comes from signing up a team to play musical chairs in the mud, it is still money for charity and that is the main goal. Greeks actually do take their philanthropy seriously and many houses pride themselves solely on their ability to make a difference in others’ lives.

If there is anything I have learned by going from being non-Greek to Greek is that you can’t judge a book by its cover; or in our case, philanthropy by its respective game.

Rebecca is a junior in LAS. She can be reached at [email protected]