Rebranding improves aesthetics and cohesiveness

On Wednesday night, Nike and the University’s Division of Intercollegiate Athletics will announce the product of a lengthy rebranding effort to help update Illini uniforms and logos. 

This long-needed update will improve the aesthetics of uniforms across the board, eradicating the slanted Illinois lettering on helmets, the different shades of orange and blue and some jerseys saying “Illini” while others say “Illinois.”

In the same way student-athletes represent the University, the name on their chest — and the design around it — changes the way outsiders look at Illinois.

The update is more than just new uniforms; it’s an entire rebranding. 

It will make sure the orange in the football jersey is the same as in the softball jersey. It will make sure people view the University, and its clothing and advertisements in a consistent way. It will make sure that members of the University family feel a sense of connectedness. 

This rebranding will do more than simply create aesthetic appeal. It will also be a way to make the University, as a whole, more cohesive — both literally and figuratively.

With debates and disagreements constantly surrounding campus on issues such as Chief Illiniwek, having consistency in our uniforms will be one way to symbolize how we are working towards a more cohesive University.

The rebranding of uniforms and logos will allow us to both feel and see a sense of unification.

New uniforms will also help get people to purchase new athletic apparel, potentially boosting revenue and school spirit.

Walking around the University campus compared to walking around Ann-Arbor or Madison, it seems that there are fewer people in orange and blue than in maize and blue, or cardinal and white. With a new update, more people might be interested in wearing Illini clothes on campus, and hopefully our sidewalks and streets will swarm with a consistent palette of oranges and blues.

A recent New York Times story showed that universities across the country are increasing their spending on athletics faster than on academics, but spending on athletics can benefit academics as well: Improved athletics can attract more and better applicants, increase enrollment yield or the number of people choosing to go to that university, and attract more donations. 

So, when the University spends money to improve the uniforms it can help to attract better recruits. Better recruits can improve athletics. 

Updating the uniforms is just one step toward improving athletics, but the DIA’s willingness to do so shows a dedication to athletics that will ultimately improve the University as a whole.

On a broader level, the improvement and stability that will come with this rebranding will also allow those of us on campus to feel a better sense of togetherness and similarity, which we will hopefully demonstrate and perpetuate at our various University athletic events.