Tennis’ ‘Big Four’ won’t be around forever

Whenever I see a highlight of Michael Jordan making an amazing shot or finishing an impossible drive, I am overtaken by awe. But I also feel sadness.

Although I was alive when Michael Jordan was in his prime, I was a toddler. I don’t remember any of the great moves he made, the shots he took, the way he made people feel. No, all I’m left with are highlight reels and my parents’ stories about how Chicago was a ghost town whenever the Bulls were playing. Everyone wanted to see Mike play.

This is why it’s important to watch greatness when it is present. This is why it is important to watch tennis’ “Big Four” of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray.

Each of these tennis stars has helped transform the game of tennis. No one has been able to challenge these four for titles and Grand Slams in recent years.  All four have combined for 38 Grand Slam single titles and 211 titles, totaling more than $200 million in earnings.

Roger Federer was the first to enter the world stage after capturing the 2003 Wimbledon title. He ruled the court and established himself as the world No. 1 at the beginning of the 2004. Nadal followed suit after winning the 2005 French Open.

The two held the two tops spots in the ATP rankings for 211 consecutive weeks from July 2005 to August 2009. The two were practically certain to meet at every Grand Slam final. The 2008 Wimbledon Gentlemen’s final, in which Nadal beat Federer to end the latter’s five-year reign as Wimbledon Champion, is considered by many to be the greatest tennis match to have ever been played.

Since Djokovic began to challenge the two in 2007 and Murray came on the scene in 2009, the four have created a new “Golden Era” for the tennis world. Djokovic has taken the No. 1 ranking away from Federer and Nadal, while Murray has captured the heart of England with his wins of the gold medal in the 2012 London Olympics and the 2013 Wimbledon Final.

This dominance has helped fans, and those who watch from time to time, to become familiar with the game. Tennis is the fourth-most watched sport in the world and is on the rise in the past years.

But Father Time is catching up on the “Big Four.” Federer is past his prime and is falling in the rankings. Yes, he might still have a Grand Slam win left in him, but the end has already begun. Nadal is at the end of his prime and will begin to follow the route Federer has taken since 2010.

The “Big Four” will begin to fall apart. It will turn to three, two, one and then none. It is important for not only tennis fans to take advantage, but sports fans in general. The time difference isn’t that great during the French Open and Wimbledon, sit down when you wake up and turn on the TV to watch the great matches these players have to offer. When it’s time for the U.S. Open, there is no excuse not to watch.

These four represent the greatest tennis has ever had to offer, so sit down at watch them play.

Michal is a freshman in Media. He can be reached at [email protected] and @bennythebull94.