Be aware and know your resources

By Daily Illini Editorial Board

Sometimes college seems to be nothing but stressful, especially on such a large campus. With all of the various pressures lingering in students’ minds, sometimes college can feel completely unbearable. For others, sometimes life can feel unbearable.

Suicide is the second leading cause of death among college students, and for that reason, we find it imperative to make sure this problem is acknowledged and understood. In doing so, we can hopefully make more of an effort in preventing suicide on college campuses.

Information from Campbell University proclaims five causes of suicide among college students are identity problems, academic competition, social isolation, financial pressure and depression. These five causes can have various implications on a student’s life and these are issues all of us may experience to some degree, which is why this is so important.

While the rate of suicide on campuses has not changed since 1980, with over 1,000 suicides on college campuses per year. We, and many other organizations on campus, think it should.

This week, for National Suicide Prevention Week, many organizations on campus will be spreading awareness about the dangers of bottling up suicidal thoughts.

There are many resources at the University that are offered to help people who may believe they or a friend is at risk for suicide. Under a joint program between the Counseling Center and the McKinley Health Center, students can receive the help and guidance they need by talking to professional health care providers. The center is located in room 206 at the Fred H. Turner Student Services Building. It is also important to know that a crisis line is available 24/7 and can be accessed by dialing 359-4141.

While there are many large organizations out there who understand the causes of suicide and want to help, students should be informed as well. It is important for us to realize that there are people sitting right next to us in class who may feel the effects of stress and depression, and it is our duty to be aware of this issue.

What we can do as students who care about our campus and the students who live here is reach out and listen to people who may be suffering, and know what resources we can direct them to if needed. Whether it be a friend or a stranger, it is important to identify suicidal symptoms and be the person that lends an ear. Always keep your limitations in mind and seek professional help when applicable.