Walking past homelessness

I’ve always been interested in the concept of apathy — which is a term that indicates a complete lack of concern for something — and what causes it.

It is my belief that we need apathy to survive because it’s impossible to empathize with all the known victims of inequity and crime.

I cannot really empathize or feel a deep understanding for victims of atrocities that are distanced from me, because that would result in too much cognitive dissonance with my very happy life attending the University. 

Usually, I’m able to remain apathetic because those terrible circumstances are far enough away. So, I can push them out from my mind in order to preserve the happiness I feel in my own life.

But, what happens when the terrible circumstance isn’t far away at all? We all walk down Green Street and pass people literally begging us for money or for something to eat. Many of us, usually including myself, keep walking.

Perhaps, part of the problem may be that the issue has become normalized to us. Because we walk past people begging for money each day, we get used to the idea.

Logically, I know that is fundamentally wrong. It is not morally right to stroll past, unconcerned, a person literally begging for your help.

But, I do it. And so do many, arguably most, people on campus. We’ve simply gotten used to the situation.

However, even if we do become more comfortable with an issue, it doesn’t alter the urgency of the issue whatsoever.

What allows us to keep walking? And what allows us to forget about the encounter in minutes? What should we be doing instead?

Strolling past people who are homeless is the most extreme act of apathy I’ve ever performed, and that I consistently perform.

When I was little, many adults warned me that I’m not supposed to give money to those who are homeless. They told me that it encourages them to keep begging and that oftentimes they don’t use the money for food. Though, of course, that is not always the case. 

Usually, that was the line of logic that I used to justify my actions when I didn’t stop to help someone who is homeless. It was much easier and less emotionally demanding to keep walking.

But there are many who insist that giving money or food to those who are currently homeless is a means of enabling them to remain homeless. 

In fact, 33 different cities have restricted handing out food to the homeless for those very reasons.

And in contrast, there are those who decide to give when they can, and trust those that receive their donations.

The thing is, it doesn’t really matter what you’re opinion is in regards to giving money on the street or not.

What does matter is that you find a way to help in a way that is comfortable for you. 

Sometimes, I’ll attempt to empathize with a person who is homeless. But, it’s completely impossible for me. I don’t have the life or emotional experiences necessary to understand that state of living.

But, the attempt for empathy is enough to make me feel responsible to help. 

In 2010, about 1,593,150 people experienced being homeless in the United States. 

It is our responsibility to help when we have the capability to do so, especially when this problem is so prevalent.

Buy healthy snacks, blankets or clean clothes to keep with you to hand out, donate money to a local homeless shelter or volunteer with a homeless organization.

Luckily, it’s easy to find a list of Champaign organizations that provide assistance for people who are currently homeless. 

I know, all too well, that college students are often busy and don’t have much money to spare. Regardless, most of us are in a position easier than that of being homeless, and we are in a position to help.

It doesn’t take long to buy a few extra items of food or donate a few dollars to a local shelter. It doesn’t have to be anything huge in terms of time or financial commitment.

But, what is unacceptable is walking past people begging for our help and continuing to be apathetic.

Alex is junior in LAS. She can be reached at [email protected].