Unofficial: Think before you drink

Kevin Vongnaphone | Senior photo

Unofficial partcipants stop by the hydration station in front of the Alma Mater on Friday, Mar. 6, 2015.

It’s Unofficially the most wonderful time of the year. Pick up that green t-shirt from your friend who ordered them online (and who you still owe $15 to) and grab some eggs from County Market before its shelves are completely raided in the name of kegs and eggs.

But as excited as you may be for the festivities, don’t get ahead of yourself. Starting now, smarten up.

Every student at the University received an email Tuesday from Renée Romano, vice chancellor for student affairs. She called this MassMail a response to students asking they be “informed of the consequences of inappropriate or illegal behavior” on Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day, citing that “in past years, the event has led to serious injuries and at least two deaths.”

The Daily Illini Editorial Board knows that Unofficial can be fun when done right, but it can easily be done wrong, with potentially dire consequences. The last student to die on Unofficial was a member of The Daily Illini staff. Safety concerns on this day should not be taken lightly by anyone and are certainly not by us.

In her MassMail, Romano goes on to explain that the Student Code is still as applicable Friday as it is on any other day. Its violations include consuming alcohol as and serving alcohol to minors, property damage, physical violence and sexual aggression — all unfortunately common occurrences on Unofficial.

Don’t forget that a mistake that breaks the law can most definitely jeopardize your place at this University, your legal standing and your future job prospects.

Work hard, play hard; it’s an apt motto for our students. But don’t play so hard on Unofficial you get hurt, or someone else does and you end up out of a college education. Put your education to work.

Unofficial isn’t a mandatory event. Don’t feel pressured to do things you’re uncomfortable with; if you’re in a difficult situation, ask for help — whether it be from a friend or from the police. You can call the police if you or your friends are in danger, and they’ll assist you — no questions asked. Make this an Unofficial you remember for the good things, not for the bad.

We attend a school where students can find an excuse to go out any night of the week. Really, what makes Unofficial any different?

You’re still capable of having fun without the consequences exceeding a bad hangover. You’ve likely made good decisions while having fun before. You probably made them last week on a Thursday night at Brothers. We believe that you can do the same on Unofficial.