Editorial: A letter to President-elect Donald Trump

Lily Katz

Students gather at Alma Mater to march through the Quad and down Green Street in order to protest President Elect Donald Trump on Friday.

Dear President-elect Donald Trump,

Congratulations on becoming the 45th president of the United States of America. As you may already know, you shocked not just the country, but the world, with your win. Because of this, The Daily Illini Editorial Board would like to offer a few reminders in anticipation of your presidency.

You will stand in front of millions of people on Jan. 20, take the oath of office and swear your allegiance to serve this great nation. You will promise on that day to hold true to your claims to “make America great again” and use your power for the betterment of our nation.

As commander in chief, you hold the most prestigious occupation in this nation, but remember that your purpose is to serve every single person in this country.

During your presidential campaign, you made racist and inappropriate comments about citizens of different races, genders and religions. Your campaign was built upon controversial and insulting remarks to win more voter support, but this is not a campaign anymore.

These people are searching for an ally who can bring their jobs back, and you need to be there for them.

You can’t use bigotry to make your point anymore. Your supporters are no longer the only thing that matter because it’s now your job to support everyone, and that includes the people who voted against you.

Not only do you serve the American people, but you are a representation of what it means to be an American.

The whole world will be watching, but you need to understand that our country is not a reality television show. You can’t just fire elected officials or members of your cabinet willy-nilly like you did on “The Apprentice” or during your campaign.

We understand that you are a businessman and have never held a position in politics prior to winning the highest possible position there is. Our citizens cannot be treated like consumers.

You will need to focus on the needs of the people and how your decisions are going to affect every community in the country. Don’t forget those who voted you into office; it wasn’t millionaires like you, it was the white working-class voters who are struggling to put food on the table.

That being said, we really do hope that you succeed. While you are the pilot on this aircraft, we’re all the passengers, and if you crash, America will go down with you.

Sincerely,

The Daily Illini Editorial Board