Students can learn from Kanye’s hospitalization

TNS

Kanye West leaves the Royal Geographical Society in central London after attending a Q&A with his wife, Kim Kardashian West, and make-up artist Charlotte Tilbury at the annual Vogue Festival on Saturday May 21, 2016. (Jonathan Brady/PA Wire/Abaca Press/TNS)

By Tyler Panlilio, Columnist

mug_paliliotyler_cutoutAfter an unexpected cancellation last Monday of his remaining 21 shows for the Saint Pablo tour, rapper Kanye West was hospitalized for exhaustion.

A week later, West is still reportedly unable to leave hospitalization at the UCLA Medical Center.

While fatigue is a valid reason for West’s hospitalization, it’s not unlikely that his mental state is the real problem here, especially since the entire remaining tour had to be canceled. Exhaustion probably isn’t a serious enough problem to be worried about at the end of the year.

What could be, however, are paranoia and extreme depression.

It’s important to note that there are a plethora of factors that could have contributed to West’s erratic behavior before hospitalization.

Last month, Kim Kardashian West was robbed at gunpoint for $10 million in Paris. The robbery prompted Kardashian’s absence from both social media and the public eye, and has reportedly caused strains on the couple’s marriage.

This month also marks the anniversary of the death of his mother, Donda West, an event that affected West so much that fans claim it changed his musical style.

And during his last concert in Sacramento, West called out Jay-Z in a paranoid attempt to save his own life: “Jay-Z — call me, bruh. You still ain’t called me. Jay-Z, I know you got killers. Please don’t send them at my head. Please call me. Talk to me like a man.”

It’s reasonable to speculate that West is suffering from depression and possibly even mild psychosis due to these recent events; however, this isn’t meant to minimize the frustration of fans who witnessed only a few song performances and a Kanye rant.

But die-hard fans and haters alike should realize that depression is a very real problem and can affect everyone — even egotistical superstars like West himself.

For students like you and me, it’s not difficult to get caught up in between schoolwork, landing internships and just trying to be a decent human being. We may not be paranoid over Jay-Z’s hit squad coming after us in our sleep, but we still have our 99 problems nonetheless.

But sometimes, these difficulties escalate into problems that stay with us for a very long time. For a lot of students, especially freshmen, a combination of heavy school workloads, transitioning into college and whatever else life throws at you can result in depression. A survey conducted by the American College Health Association for fall 2015 reported that 30.6 percent of students felt so depressed that it became difficult to function.

Whatever problem college students have, they shouldn’t feel like they don’t have the right to be sad because others have it way worse. That’s like saying someone can’t be happy because someone else is happier than them.

While there’s no telltale sign that indicates depression, there’s no harm in going to McKinley or the counseling center for help. Even talking with close friends can be cathartic; after all, they’re your friends for a reason.

At this time of year, it seems that students need everything to be happy or successful. So it’s reasonable to say that students get pretty stressed and maybe even overwhelmed by what they’re dealing with.

But too often, we tend to keep these problems bottled up on the inside, which only helps to worsen the situation. That’s not to say that everyone should go around telling people their life story.

Just find a few ears that’ll listen to what’s on your mind and who you’d do the same for — you’ll be thankful that you did.

Tyler is a freshman in Media.