Trevor Noah, Tomi Lahren show what political discourse should embody

Gage Skidmore

Tomi Lahren speaking at Politicon in Pasadena, California MCT June 26, 2016.

By Isabella Winkler, Columnist

winklerisabella

In case you somehow missed it, the universe collapsed Wednesday when the Daily Show’s Trevor Noah invited Tomi Lahren from TheBlaze to interview on his show.

Two people from opposite ends of the political spectrum hashed out their equally strong opinions on Black Lives Matter, Donald Trump and other hot topics.

Lahren, a conservative political commentator, is popular for her video segments on Facebook that regularly go viral, while Noah’s show on Comedy Central is famous for its satirical criticism of the conservative party.

Lahren’s strong opinions on issues like Black Lives Matter, gun control and immigration have gained her millions of views and made her a strong voice for young Republicans, but her inflammatory comments on controversial issues put a target on her back for Internet mockery.

She referred to the people protesting the results of the election as “misfit babies” and suggested that Black Lives Matter is the new Ku Klux Klan.

Noah’s objections to the conservative ideologies which Lahren embodies make him the perfect person to interview Lahren, especially if a heated debate is what you’re looking for. The interview quickly went viral, but it seems that the point went over many people’s heads.

Given the divisiveness of the recent election and that 80 percent of Americans believe the nation is more divided now than in the last several years, the harsh and competitive nature of politics is more obvious than ever. So, the public’s reaction to the interview was no surprise.

Headlines such as “Trevor Noah Expertly Skewers Conservative Tomi Lahren” and “The Final Scorecard for the Tomi Lahren v. Trevor Noah Showdown” fueled the narrative that Lahren and Noah were going head to head to compete for their respective parties.

While viewers were busy debating who came out victorious, the reality went unnoticed: Lahren and Noah, who share virtually none of the same political opinions, exemplified what civil discourse could look like if we take the time to listen to what other people have to say. The rhetoric surrounding their debate is similar to that of the election.

When the media and voters make the election a competition and thus make the presidency a title to conquer, this is how the nation responds — people stop caring about the practical importance of politics and become concerned with nothing but their party’s ultimate victory.

While remaining calm and collected, both Lahren and Noah made valid points and refuted each other respectfully. Neither resorted to name calling or fallacious tactics to “skewer” the other. They demonstrated how productive political discussions can be if done with open pairs of eyes and ears.

While agreeing to disagree on divisive social issues, the two tweeted niceties to each other after the video aired to prove that despite differing opinions, you can still respect the people who sit across the aisle.

Lahren tweeted, “I had a great time with @Trevornoah on @TheDailyShow and I respect our obvious differences but common goals,” to which Noah responded, “Thank you for being my guest Tomi. Our goal should be to destroy these ‘bubbles,’ not each other. You’re always welcome on my show.”

They also agreed that most heavily debated issues don’t have right or wrong solutions, and the answers will not be found at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Rather, seeking common ground is the only productive way to solve the problems that divide us.

By demonstrating that political discourse doesn’t have to be cutthroat, ruthless and unforgiving, Lahren and Noah’s debate is hopefully a nod to how the nation can mend the cracks created by our harsh political climate, especially in the aftermath of a divisive presidential election.

Isabella is a sophomore in ACES.