Conservatives hypocritically support March for Life

Vice+President+Mike+Pence+speaks+in+front+of+the+thousands+of+pro-life+supporters+at+a+rally+near+the+National+Mall+during+the+March+for+Life+Friday%2C+Jan.+27%2C+2017+in+Washington%2C+D.C.+

TNS

Vice President Mike Pence speaks in front of the thousands of pro-life supporters at a rally near the National Mall during the March for Life Friday, Jan. 27, 2017 in Washington, D.C.

By Isabella Winkler, Columnist

Many Americans think of heroism and courage when recalling historic protests such as the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom and the dozens of anti-Vietnam War demonstrations that swept college campuses.

But recently, people seem to be judging protests through an increasingly partisan lens. Conservatives railed against the Women’s March on Washington last weekend following President Donald Trump’s inauguration, yet showed support for the March for Life, an annual anti-abortion protest, on Friday.

Considering Trump was caught on tape admitting to sexual assault and is infamous for his degrading comments about women, the Women’s March was timely, taking place just one day after his inauguration.

Tomi Lahren from The Blaze claimed that people march when they have nothing better to do and “contribute nothing to society.” She also stated that the “whining and self-righteous” women were marching for self-interest, not for the betterment of society.

Conservative politicians condemned the peaceful protesters at the Women’s Marches across the nation. Trump seemed genuinely perplexed: “Watched protests yesterday but was under the impression that we just had an election! Why didn’t these people vote?” he asked on Twitter, forgetting that the majority of Americans in fact did vote against him.

Sen. Bill Kintner resigned after he retweeted a picture ridiculing the Women’s March participants  claiming that they are not in danger of sexual assault, implying that they are unattractive — and simultaneously proving why the Women’s March is still a necessity.

But when it came to the March for Life on Friday, an annual anti-abortion rally in Washington D.C., protesting became a heroic and courageous deed in the eyes of conservatives. In fact, Vice President Mike Pence even showed up to give his remarks and show support for the protestors.

This is the hypocrisy we see time and time again: Conservatives are quick to call any liberal who voices unhappiness with the new administration a “snowflake,” but are the same ones offended by women gathering to protest legitimate concerns about the current administration, sexual assault and women’s access to healthcare.

Conservatives applauded the March for Life participants for defending the unborn, but have done nothing to prove that they will help to better the lives of those babies and their parents once they are born. In fact, they want to cut the Women, Infants and Children program, which provides food, nutrition services and education for low-income pregnant and postpartum women and their children.

They preach family values and abstinence, even restrict sex education in their states, but have been revealed as the ones who are sexually promiscuous — Bill Kintner being one of them.

Conservatives claim to be pro-life, but will stop at no end to repeal the Affordable Care Act, which provides a safety net from lifetime caps and preexisting conditions — especially for newborn babies born with disabilities or life-threatening conditions.

Considering how aggressively Trump has implemented his extreme policies in his first 10 days on the job, protests will continue to be a vital tool for his opposition.

And given the size of that opposition, Trump and all conservatives would benefit from trying to understand their concerns instead of ridiculing on social media.

Isabella is a sophomore in ACES.