Editorial | Save student newsrooms

Employees+at+The+Daily+Illini+meet+in+the+news+conference+room+to+discuss+content+for+the+following+day.+Student+newsrooms+across+the+country+are+coming+together+to+help+support+student+media.+
Employees at The Daily Illini meet in the news conference room to discuss content for the following day. Student newsrooms across the country are coming together to help support student media.

Kenyon Edmond

Kenyon Edmond

By The Daily Illini Editorial Board

The Daily Illini is an independent student newspaper, which means we don’t take orders from the University. Being independent means our publication can publish what it wants, when it wants, without constraints or censorship from the administration.

The majority of student newspapers across the country are not independent — they publish what their schools tell them to. Often, they are prohibited from publishing important information regarding their university.

We understand it’s a privilege to learn and grow at an independent publication free from these constraints, but we still experience struggles. Many of our readers already heard that our company is moving locations from Green Street to the University YMCA for financial reasons. Journalism is always evolving, and we, as journalists, understand the need to evolve with it.

There are a lot of people on campus who might not agree with everything The Daily Illini does. We have our fair share of critics, but it’s important to remember we are still students learning our trade. We are not perfect, nor do we try to be.

There are serious problems in our industry at the moment. Professional publications all over the world are criticized for their subjectivity, their reporting techniques and their presentation of facts. In order to help fix these aspects of the industry, we need to learn and experience what it’s like to work in a real newsroom.

Almost everything we learn as journalists doesn’t come from inside the classroom but outside of it. The existence of our student newsroom is what gives us the tools to be successful. We make mistakes and we try to do better, but again, we are still learning.

For many student journalists, it is their first time covering crime, copyediting a story or designing a center-spread. We cannot become experts in our trade unless we try, fail and try again. Having an independent newsroom allows us to master our craft.

In light of everything that is happening, the Editorial Board would like to take a moment to thank everyone who has supported Illini Media Company. We can only hope you will continue to support us in the future.

In addition, we would like to thank our critics for pushing us to be better journalists. We appreciate everything that the community gives us to do good for the campus and Champaign-Urbana.

We hope to have a platform to seek the truth and report it for years to come.

About the Photographer
Kenyon Edmond, Assistant Photo Editor

Hi, I am a sophomore advertising major. I’m from the Hyde Park area on the south side of Chicago. I started as a staff photographer during the first semester of my freshman year. I spend my free time hanging out with friends and playing “Rocket League” and “Super Smash Bros”. In addition to photography, I’m also interested in fountain pens, mechanical keyboards and computer hardware.