Letter to the Editor | Want to vote? Here’s how

By Ben Chapman

Registering to vote has never been easier. In Illinois, you can register to vote online until October 21st. Just visit this link and fill out the form. It should only take a few minutes. If you have any problems, contact the Champaign County Clerk’s Office by calling 217-384-3720. You can verify your registration here.

Next, find your polling place. Students are encouraged to register at their local campus address to make voting easiest. If you are registered locally, you can vote at the Illini Union in room 404, which is on the fourth floor on the North side of the Illini Union. If you are worried about finding it, there will be plenty of people on the Main Quad who will happily walk you there! If the Illini Union is too inconvenient, you may check for other polling places you can use at this link.

Knowing who to vote for is  also important. Fortunately, there is a great, unbiased, online guide to the candidates that you can use. It has links to candidate websites and brief descriptions of their priorities. If you want to see what your ballot will look like before you vote, you can view your sample ballot at the Champaign County Clerk’s Website using this link.

You can also learn more information about the candidates by looking them up on social media or reading news articles about them.

Lastly, vote! (and get your sticker). Doing your civic duty by voting is great. But stickers are even better.

Ben is a senior in ACES.