Opinion | Kindness is still relevant

Ryan Ash

A local man places mangos into his cart as a student volunteer smiles at the Wesley Food Pantry, 1203 W. Green St., on Feb. 20.

By Noah Nelson, Senior Columnist

On the 1980s sitcom “Full House,” then-child actress Jodie Sweetin played the Tanner’s middle sister Stephanie. Along with her lovable quirkiness and witty lines, Sweetin was mostly known for saying her famous catchphrase, “How rude!” every time someone said something to her disliking.

Nowadays, I find myself saying the exact same thing time and time again. When I see people being rude in public, most of the time, it’s not directed at me or done on purpose to others, but people out there still practice rudeness. It’s one of those qualities humans will always have.

Growing up, most children are taught the importance of being kind to others. Like the Golden Rule states: Treat others the way you would want them to treat you. Sometimes, that rule doesn’t seem to carry into adulthood with some folks.

Like holding the door open for others behind you or letting someone ahead of you in line, performing small acts of kindness should be like second nature. Unfortunately, some people don’t seem to do any small acts of kindness.

I see so many people who slam the door on people behind them when walking into a building or cutting people off without acknowledging them. We all have no idea what others may be going through at any given time. Showing one’s rudeness through these small acts shouldn’t add to the other battles they face in life. Simply smiling at others might even make their day.

Not only do small acts of kindness make all the difference but so do our words. Children are taught that action speaks louder than words. But sometimes, words speak just as much.

Whether it’s waiters at a restaurant, workers at a fast food establishment or even your coworkers, some of them practice their rudeness by way of mouth. They act like they don’t want to talk to you at all. It is as if they don’t care one bit to even have a conversation with you.

Even at the University some professors, teacher’s assistants and students practice rudeness. Like those in customer service positions, members of the campus community act like they have other far better things they need to be doing than talking to you. Sometimes office hours are gruesome because some professors and TAs don’t want to help you or answer your questions. I know from experience.

It’s not too much to ask to be kind to others. We will all be sharing this world with each other for many more years down the road. Let’s not step off on the wrong foot again. It may take extra effort sometimes to show kindness to others, but in the end, it will all be worth it.

Noah is a sophomore in LAS.