Don’t run for president, Mr. Biden

Photo courtesy of David Lienemann

Official portrait of Vice President Joe Biden in his West Wing Office at the White House, Jan. 10, 2013.

By Noah Nelson, Columnist

Sometimes people should just take a step back and allow others the spotlight, especially when expressing interest in running for the highest office in the world.

On Thursday, former Vice President Joe Biden announced he is seeking a third bid for the White House. In a three-and-a-half minute video, 76-year-old Biden said: “We are in the battle for the soul of this nation. If we give Donald Trump eight years in the White House, he will forever and fundamentally alter the character of this nation. And I cannot stand by and watch that happen.”

No, Mr. Biden, you will fundamentally alter the character of this nation. Do what’s best for the country and stay home.

In an already crowded Democratic field for the 2020 election, which includes senators Bernie Sanders of Vermont, Cory Booker of New Jersey and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, and Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Indiana, Biden enters as the 20th candidate in the race thus far. Biden’s candidacy will no doubt divide the Democratic Party.

Having served 36 years in the U.S. Senate and eight years as President Barack Obama’s vice president, Biden has already spent time in the White House. Like former first lady and 2016 Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton a few years ago, Biden’s campaigning begs the question: Why run for president when you have already served your time?

In recent months, Biden has speculated about his decision to run while standing in the midst of multiple sexual harassment charges from seven women. Even with the accusations, Biden still decided to announce his candidacy.

Every Democrat who has so far announced his or her bid for president has the same goal: vote Trump out of office. With that issue as their primary motivation, sooner or later, the party will have to decide who will be the one to take on Trump in the general election.

So far, the more well-known candidates think they have a shot at winning the general election, but if Uncle Joe decides to stay in the race, the party will fall into some deep trouble. His candidacy could cause Democratic voters to not know who to cast their vote for, in not only the primary but the general election as well.

Since his presidential announcement, Biden has received countless endorsements, including Democratic senators Chris Coons of Delaware, Bob Casey of Pennsylvania and Doug Jones of Alabama, and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Delaware Gov. John Carney.

The 2020 presidential election won’t happen for over a year from now. More than likely, President Trump will earn the Republican nomination, but on the Democratic side, they still have some kinks to work out. So, Mr. Biden, if you’re out there somewhere thinking of ways to work conservatives’ nerves even more, do what’s best for the country and stay home. You will be glad you did.

Noah is a freshman LAS.