2015 NFL Draft superlatives

2015 NFL Draft superlatives

By Christopher Kennedy

May 8, 2015

Filed under Placeholder (Do Not Delete), Sports

The 2015 NFL Draft is in the books, and as graduation rolls around, it’s time to say goodbye to the 2015 class of college football players. Here’s some superlatives for the draft class.Most Likely to SucceedLeonard Williams, DE — Southern California, New York JetsSome experts thought Williams was ...

48 hours left of Marathon's kickstarter

48 hours left of Marathon's kickstarter

By Frances Welch

May 8, 2015

Filed under Life & Culture, Placeholder (Do Not Delete)

At 13, Brandon Beachum discovered the realms of punk rock, a genre that would later mold his musical palette into writing a unique composition: a 35-minute-long piece consisting of six guitar players, one bassist and two drummers.Growing up in Herrin, Illinois, Beachum said he wanted to be “anti-every...

Preparing for Commencement: The beginning of the end

By Lillian Barkley

May 8, 2015

Before diplomas are conferred, before honored guests voice congratulations and before students file onto the field of Memorial Stadium, faculty across the campus have been working to print out programs and order regalia. “I think people kind of walk into Memorial Stadium and they don’t understand,...

May 8, 2015

Filed under Placeholder (Do Not Delete)

hello world test test thit is another test

Four years later: The end of a term

Four years later: The end of a term

By Frances Welch

May 5, 2015

Filed under News, Placeholder (Do Not Delete)

Don Gerard said his final goodbyes to the community before his office pictures were packed away and his suit jackets were hung up in his office on the last Thursday of his term. His day started like any other. He finished his shift as facilities manager at the University, a job that he held befor...

Champaign organizations offer assistance to homeless

By Andrew Nowak

May 5, 2015

Editor’s Note: This is the second of a three-part series on panhandling within Campustown.Tony Comtois is fine with being a “24/7” employee because he helps provide people with something he was once given: a second chance.In his hometown of Rantoul, Comtois was working at a Conair Corporation ...

Police Blotter for May 5, 2015

May 5, 2015

Filed under Placeholder (Do Not Delete)

Champaign— Criminal damage to property was reported at Circle K, 1713 W. John St., around 12:30 a.m. Friday.According to the report, the offender damaged a window but was not located.— Criminal damage to property was reported in the 100 block of East Daniel Street around 7:30 p.m. Friday.Accordi...

A conversation with an Illini: C.J. Maestas

By Kevin McCarthy

May 5, 2015

Filed under Opinions, Placeholder (Do Not Delete)

Senior C.J. Maestas of the Illinois men’s gymnastics team just returned with an NCAA high bar national championship and All-American honors in the all-around. This week I sat down with him to talk about his collegiate career, his hair products and his family. Kevin McCarthy: You have accomplis...

Illini coaches torn on issue of pay for play

By Nicholas Fortin

May 5, 2015

For years, collegiate student-athletes have been amateurs, not allowed to accept payment for on-the-field services.Student-athletes have not been permitted to receive financial compensation for use of their likeness, number or autograph. But, at January’s NCAA convention, the Power Five conferences — ...