University progresses on Memorial Stadium renovations

Daily Illini File Photo

An interior view of Memorial Stadium where Carmoni Green can be seen in upcoming Illinois football games. September 4, 2007.

By Cole Henke, Staff writer

The University of Illinois submitted a Request for Professional Services Qualifications to start plans to renovate Memorial Stadium.

The plan’s biggest request is specifically for changes in the horseshoe seating in the south end zone. The form says a new football operations addition will be added to the horseshoe. It will be the first major renovation to the south end zone since 1929.

The request form also lists improvements to the east side of the stadium, which include improvements to accessibility and amenities.

There are no concrete plans for the renovations yet, as this request is strictly for a professional consulting team to come in to help the University with the job.

“We have had a change in leadership, and (Athletic Director Josh Whitman) had a chance to look at all of our facilities and capital projects,” said Kent Brown, associate director of athletics and media relations. “This is one that became front and center, but this is all part of the process.”

The plans for these renovations started taking shape a few years ago when the University filed a feasibility report to get a general feeling for how much the project would cost.

This will be the first major renovation since the addition of the premium seating areas on the west side of Memorial Stadium that finished in 2008.

@cole_henke