Suspect in deadly Green Street shooting turns himself in to police

Police officers investigate what happened after a shooting that took place early Sunday morning.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Champaign Police Department determined that Champaign resident Robbie Patton, 18, is the prime suspect for Sunday's Green Street shooting.Photo courtesy of Tammy Dodds
Champaign Police Department determined that Champaign resident Robbie Patton, 18, is the prime suspect for Sunday’s Green Street shooting.

The main suspect in Sunday morning’s shooting on Green Street turned himself into the Champaign County Police Thursday night.

Robbie Patton, 18, is being held at the Champaign County Jail for the charges of First Degree Murder and Aggravated Battery with a Firearm.

If charged, Patton would serve a minimum sentence of 45 years and a maximum sentence of 85 years, Champaign County State’s Attorney Julia Rietz said.

Sunday morning’s shooting killed one and wounded five others. George Korchev was pronounced dead at 1:02 a.m. at Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana, IL. He was 22 years old and did not attend the University.

Before Patton turned himself in, police believed him to be armed and dangerous. He was the sole focus of the investigation CPD Lt. Dave Shaffer said.

In a related fight that took place before the shooting, someone was knocked unconscious. Shaffer said they cannot confirm if Patton fired in retaliation, though they believe the incidents are related.

“We do believe the fight has played a role in leading to the gunfire,” Shaffer said.

After serving 8 and a half months of an eight-year sentence for his involvement in a shooting in December 2015, Patton was released on parole on Sept. 9.

He had pleaded guilty to a weapons charge for firing a firearm at the Steak and Shake in the 2100 block of North Prospect Avenue, but was recommended for bootcamp by Circuit Judge Tom Difanis.

Police said the investigation is ongoing and anyone with information is encouraged to reach out to the police.

They also reminded citizens that anonymous tips can be shared: by phone at 217-373-8477 (TIPS); online at www.373tips.com; or by texting “CCTIP” plus the crime information to 274637 (CRIMES).