Senate designates Election Day as newest UI holiday

Mark Capapas

Students vote at the ARC on Nov. 6, 2018. The University Senate has made Election Day the University’s newest holiday.

By Aliza Majid, Staff Writer

On Election Day this year, University students won’t have to worry about class conflicts when they go out to vote.

At Monday’s meeting, the University Senate announced that Election Day, Nov. 3, 2020, will be the University’s newest official holiday.

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker signed a bill in June that designated the upcoming Election Day as a state holiday.

On Monday, the University followed suit, updating the 2020-2021 academic calendar to include Election Day as a holiday and to have no classes in session.

The proposal will not add any additional instruction days for this holiday as it will become an exception to the current Academic Calendar Policy Section 1.1, which states that “There shall be no fewer than 14 of each instructional day per semester and 13 weeks that have five full weeks of instruction (M-F).”

Election Day joins Labor Day and Thanksgiving break as the only holidays with no classes in UI’s fall semester.

The resolution came just a day before National Voter Registration Day. In 2016, around 240,000 people were registered to vote in Champaign County.