Find the best bus route

By Angelica Lavito

The Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District provides University students bus service. The variety of routes will get you where you need to go, but mastering the bus system can be difficult at first. There are plenty of options for bus routes to take, but here are our suggestions.

If you live at FAR/PAR …

Learn the bus system. Now. Walking to the Main Quad in August may seem like you’re walking through the Sahara Desert, so knowing the bus system will spare you from the heat. The FAR/PAR stop is the first stop for the 13 Silver and 12 Teal routes, so you won’t have as big of a fight to secure a spot on the air-conditioned buses. The Silver and Teal routes will be your lifeline to the rest of campus. Learn those. The 22 Illini will get you almost anywhere on campus, which can be helpful, but the route’s numerous stops make the trip long.

Take the Teal when … you are going to Campus Recreation Center East, Allen Hall, Busey-Evans, Krannert Center, Davenport Hall, Noyes Laboratory, Illinois Street Residence Halls, Illini Union, Green Street and the Bardeen Quad.

Take the Silver when … you are going to Campus Recreation Center East, Allen Hall, the Undergraduate Library, Foellinger Auditorium, Lincoln Hall, Armory, English Building, Gregory Hall, Illini Union, Green Street and the Bardeen Quad.

Take the Illini when … you are going to Ikenberry Dining Hall and Residence Halls, Activities and Recreation Center, Bromley Hall

If you live at Allen Hall …

You’re closer to the Main Quad than those at FAR/PAR, but your walk to places like Green Street is still a hike. Learn the bus system. Your stop is the second stop after FAR/PAR on the Teal and Silver lines, so allow extra time on extremely hot days when the bus will be crowded. The Illini route does not stop in front of Allen Hall, but you can catch it about a block away in front of Bevier Hall.

If you live at LAR …

You have multiple options for bus routes with the LAR bus stop in front of the residence halls and the Gregory and Dorner bus stop behind them. You have access to the Red route, but you must present your i-card to use this route, and it runs less frequently than the others.

Take the Red when … you’re going to the Krannert Center, the Illini Union, Green Street and the Bardeen Quad.

If you live at Busey-Evans …

Your walk to the Main Quad is short and sweet, but the Teal will help you get to Green Street quickly. The Illini will also come in handy when you want to venture to places like the Activities and Recreation Center. Catch both routes from the Goodwin and Nevada stop.

If you live at ISR …

The Main Quad, Illini Union and Green Street are relatively short walks. Places like the Undergraduate Library and Activities and Recreation Center (ARC) are farther from you, but the Illini route will help you get there. Catch the bus at the ISR stop located in front of the residence halls.

If you live at the Ikenberry North and South Halls …

The walk to the Main Quad is not unbearable, but on hot summer days, an air-conditioned bus might be a better option. The 100 Yellow route and Illini route will get you around campus, but taking the Yellow route and walking a little farther will pay off.

Take the Yellow when … you’re going to the Main Quad, the Illini Union Bookstore, Green Street, the Illini Union or the Bardeen Quad.

Take the Illini when … you’re going to the Undergraduate Library, Krannert Center, Davenport Hall, Noyes Laboratory, Illinois Street Residence Halls, Lincoln Avenue Residence Halls, Allen Hall or FAR/PAR.

Angelica is a junior in Media.