How to get yourself motivated for class

By Charlotte Collins

Waking up in the morning is indeed one of the most important parts of going to school.

I’m not really a morning person. If it were up to me, I’d probably never see the hour of 7:00 a.m. But, unfortunately, you’re probably going to have a morning class or two in your week, and that’s just life. If you’re like me, you’re going to need to train yourself to get up and moving, so here are some tips to make sure you make it to those early classes.

1. Get a loud, horrible alarm clock, and put it far enough from your bed that you’ll have to get up. Or make your phone alarm play something awful, like Hannah Montana. That’s really no way to live, and you’re going to be forced to get up and turn it off.
  2. Starting your homework before 9:00 p.m. the night before you are going to have to rise early is probably always a good idea. If you stop refreshing Facebook and get moving on your homework, you won’t have to stay up late.
  3. Open your blinds at night so the sun shines through in the morning. I know you’re not ready for day, and it’s going to hurt your feelings, but you have to face the facts. The sun is up.
  4. Lay your clothes out the night before. I know it might feel like you’re nine years old, but it’s really not too much work, and honestly, it’s probably just sweatpants anyway. This way, you’ll have just one less thing to worry about in the morning.
  5. Don’t go out to the bars when you know you have to get up early.
  6. Try not to become nocturnal. Waking up at 2:00 p.m. and going to sleep at 4:00 a.m. is for the summertime. Now, you have things to do during the day. Catch yourself before you fall into that pattern.
  7. Don’t take that 8 a.m. you thought you could take (if possible) if you have never really been an early riser. You’re not going to transform into a morning person overnight. That’s something you’re probably born with, but people like us can only speculate.
  8. Try coordinating schedules to see when your roommate is getting up. If it’s before when you need to get up, let him or her know that they can be loud and awful and slam things because you need to get up around then, too. Your roommate will probably be nice and just call your name a few times to make sure you’re awake, and if that happens, you should get him or her a Starbucks card or something because that’s pretty cute.
  9. Don’t do that thing where you scroll through social media for an hour before going to sleep with your eyes barely open and your face smashed into a pillow. There is nothing for you on there right now.
  10. Get a bike, so you can wake up in a frenzy, nine minutes before class and only get there a minute or two late.

Charlotte is a sophomore in Media.