Cutting down costs and promoting energy efficiency in apartments

By Nastaran Shishegar

Saving money in college can involve shopping smart and cutting down on eating out. But a student’s choice of residence can also have an impact on expenses.

People have different tastes. But are there any guidelines or facts people should consider when looking for a new place in order to save money?

Location can be one of the most important factors, if not the most important one. Proximity to classes can be a key consideration in the apartment search.

This matter becomes incredibly important when it gets cold—winters in Champaign-Urbana can be pretty intense. Hence, living close to classes can not only spare students from facing the unbearable cold for long periods of time, but students can also save a considerable amount of money at the end of the year, as they won’t need to drive or own a vehicle. Consequently, they won’t pay for fuel, auto insurance, a parking space and other related expenses.

Stephanie Chiricuta, a second year graduate student in architecture, chose to live on campus so she could easily walk to her classes.

“It’s safe, cheap and also I do not need to be worried about finding a parking space,” Chiricuta said. “Everyday walking helps with my health, and also I think I have a part in terms of air pollution reduction.”

People have two major responsibilities or concerns: One for themselves, and the other for people around them. One might categorize these things as personal choice and social responsibility, respectively.

When students choose to live close to classes, they might only be considering personal convenience. But the decision to live within walking distance is in fact a step toward helping the environment. By not driving, students contribute to the reduction of carbon dioxide emissions, and consequently take a step toward decreasing air pollution.

Moreover, students can save money and the environment if they choose to live off campus. Rent rates tend to be lower off campus than on campus, and taking the bus is a smart option financially and environmentally.

Dana Taylor, a second-year master’s student in architecture, lives off campus and usually bikes to and from class. She utilizes her bike or the bus depending on the time of year.

“The bus is a good choice for me on cold, windy and icy days of the winter,” Taylor said. “(And) everyday biking adds exercise time to my schedule, which is so beneficial to my body.”

Furthermore, students can cut out unnecessary expenses by being smart with utilities. There are two important factors to consider. One is of course consumption behavior. But the more important one is looking into the energy efficiency of the building in which students wish to live. As the energy efficiency of a building goes down, a resident’s consumption goes up.

Grant Mosey, a Ph.D student in architecture who specializes in residential building energy consumption, said the simplest thing students can do is to be aware of their consumption.

“Often, electric lights are left on even when daylight would be sufficient,” Mosey said. “Mechanical heating and cooling is being used even when the outdoor temperature is comfortable. Air conditioning is being relied upon when a simple open window would suffice.”

He also mentioned the use of incandescent light bulbs instead of CFL’s or LED’s, which are more energy efficient.

“Each of these examples represent relatively small changes in lifestyle or awareness, but cumulatively, they can have a great impact,” Mosey said.

On the apartment search, look for double or triple glazing windows (insulted glazing which includes two or three glass windows separated by a vacuum or that includes a gas-filled space to reduce heat transfer), proper insulation and sufficient daylight coming in. This can be important especially during long and cold winters.

Mosey said it’s important to understand how buildings use energy. He said space heating accounts for the largest amount of energy use; followed by appliances, electronics and lights; then water heating. Air conditioning places last on the list, according to U.S. Energy Information Administration’s 2009 Residential Energy Consumption Survey.

“So the largest single factor in efficiency is reducing heat loss,” Mosey said. “This means students should look for compact buildings with low surface to volume ratios. Having fewer windows and using energy-efficient, double-pane windows will also make a difference.”

The more sunlight there is in a home, the less energy consumption there will be, as the need for artificial lighting will be reduced.

According to the U.S. Department of Energy, south-facing windows allow the most sunlight into the home in the winter and the least in the summer, so they are a great option for places with cold climates, such as Illinois. East and west facing windows provide direct sunlight in the morning and afternoon, respectively, and could be the second-best choice for housing.

However, north-facing windows admit only diffused daylight into the space. Thus, residential units with only north-facing windows are usually cold and dark in the winter.

Taylor said she’s not happy with the amount of light in her bedroom.

“One reason that I prefer to do all my homework at school is that I do not receive daylighting on my desk at home,” she said.

Recent studies, like “Elements That Contribute to Healthy Building Design,” published in Environmental Health Perspectives, demonstrate that natural light is an important element in indoor environment. Sunlight makes the environment healthy and productive and influences occupants physically and psychologically.

When on the hunt for an apartment, students should look for a good location and an energy-efficient building that is convenient, safe and warm in the winter and cool in the summer, which could potentially lead to good health and happiness.