Top ten interview tips for landing the job

By Aminah Koshul

1. Do your research beforehand. Look up information such as the mission statement of the company you’re applying to in order to show commitment.

2. Read articles about the industry regularly. This will give you a broader, all-encompassing view that shows off your knowledge of the field.

3. Dress appropriately. No bright colors or patterns; keep it professional so you’ll look the part.

4. Self-awareness is key. Know your skills, work preferences, short and long-term goals.

5. Employers are on the lookout for skills they can’t teach. Be prepared to demonstrate foundational skills such as problem solving, decision making and communication. 

6. Each interview will be unique. Bear in mind the job description when answering interview questions.

7. Bring up negative results only when you can clearly explain them as learning experiences.

8. Prepare two to four of your own questions to ask the interviewer. This shows initiative and interest in the job.

9. Send a thank-you note within 48 hours. Be professional, highlight key points of the interview and be concise.

10. Use the Career Center as a resource. Schedule a mock interview or resume review in order to be as prepared as possible.

Tips courtesy of the Career Center.