Take a road trip around Illinois this spring break

By Isabella Jackson

If you’re feeling bummed about not going on vacation this spring break, and seeing pictures of your friends on sunny beaches is getting you down, don’t beat yourself up. Instead, gather a group of good friends and hit the road to these fun destinations around Illinois.

Antiquing in Galena:

Check out stores such as Peace of the Past, All That’s Vintage and Rustic River Finds Inc. while looking at some of the most beautiful old mansions in the state.

Distance from Champaign: 4 hours, 261 miles

Hiking at Starved Rock State Park: 

With over 13 miles of well-marked trails, this is the perfect destination for those looking to spend time outdoors over their break. The park also offers food, canoeing, kayaking and horseback riding.

Distance from Champaign: 2 hours, 115 miles

Learn about Lincoln in Springfield:

Visit the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum and Library, as well as the Lincoln Home Historic Site and Lincoln Tomb.

Distance from Champaign: 1.5 hours, 86 miles

Hang out with Superman in Metropolis:

Home to one of the most famous superheroes, the town hosts a Superman Celebration every June. Visitors the rest of the year can still take a picture with the 15-foot-tall Superman statue, then visit the Super Museum, which is filled with memorabilia of the character.

Distance from Champaign: 3.5 hours, 235 miles