Having a pet can make your place more welcoming, ease college stress

Getty Images

Golden retriever dog with ginger tabby cat resting on sofa (focus on foreground)

By Masaki Sugimoto

Many don’t consider living with pets when they come to school. They either leave their current pets at home or don’t consider adopting one. Here are some of the ups and downs of bringing along an extra friend to school.

Living with pets can be an amazing experience in college. There is nothing like a furry friend to help you through midterms and finals.

College can be one of the most stressful times with work, student organizations you’re involved in, the relationships that come and go and ever-mounting schoolwork. Having a pet can make your living space more fun and always give you something to do.

The pet can make you a better person as well. When you have a pet, you need to make sure your space is clean and you adhere to your schedule. The amount of effort it takes to care for your pet can be a big task, but they can be a big factor in keeping you on schedule.

You could also save a pet’s life. So many animals go without homes and are not as fortunate. Many shelters have issues with not having enough space for certain animals, and they end up living in less-than-ideal situations. If you are able to adopt a pet, you may save a life and gain a furry friend. It’s a win-win.

That being said, there are some major downsides to owning a pet. Depending on the pet, it can get lonely or would need to be fed several times a day. If your schedule requires you to be out of your place often, it may be best for you and your pet not to live together at school. Being around your pet often will be ideal for its own health and well-being.

Pets are also expensive, especially in an apartment complex. Students should look at their financial situation first before deciding whether to live with a pet. Complications can arise down the road that require the pet to receive special food or specific medical care, and that can break the bank.

You also need to know if you will keep the pet after school. You don’t want to find yourself in a situation where you have to move somewhere that isn’t pet-friendly after college. Also, depending on where you move, the pet may not like the weather conditions, or may not do well in urban areas.

If you can, highly consider living with a pet. It will be a lot of planning and you will need to consider the potential roadblocks and challenges that you could run into, but if you find yourself under the right circumstances, it will be a great decision. They can put a smile on you and your friends’ faces and turn those boring, stressful and dreary days into ones filled with happiness.

Masaki is a junior in Media.