Navigating the housing maze via virtual platforms

Getty Images/Goodshoot RF

Woman multitasking with cell phone, laptop and newspaper

By Morien Raeymakers

University housing

Navigating your way through University housing is easy, thanks to the University housing website. This multimedia platform features a functional design displaying clips, news, overviews and reviews on all University living options. It can also be useful to complement that information with online comments and recommendations from students. Some interesting reviews can be found on websites such as “Niche or “Freshman Support.”

Off-campus housing

For private housing, the virtual maze of individual announcements or corporate websites can be a lot more confusing. Instead of roaming the internet on all those different platforms, it can be useful to look for a structured website.

Seeing lists of prices, locations, types and durations of housing options can provide another perspective and more options. Sites like “Apartment Guide or “Walk Score can provide a summary of what the market has to offer in Champaign-Urbana.

Another good source is the Facebook page called “University of Illinois (UIUC) Housing, Sublets & Roommates,” which tries to bundle private housing information in one place.

A platform with more than 4,000 members is not easily spared of hoaxes, cat pictures or inappropriate posts. But as users have to sign in with a University email address, the administrators try to keep that kind of content under control.

Therefore, most of the content contains legitimate advertisements for students to (sub)lease, (sub)let or find roommates for private housing.

Tips against hoaxes

1. Use your common sense

If a Facebook profile or online contributor does not seem legitimate enough to be a real person, do not expect it to be a real seller or buyer either. Sellers named “anonymous,” “John Doe” or “selling123” should raise some questions.

Also, ask for more information on addresses such as “two blocks off the Quad” or “near Green Street,” because that could refer to more than half of the rooms in the University district.

Spend some time on research and use your common sense, and you won’t fall for more obvious hoaxes.

2. What you see is not always what you get

Visiting the location in question is always the best way to get a realistic idea of the living environment. If going yourself, sending friends or taking virtual tours is not an option, relying on pictures is the next best thing.

Making a good assessment of those things is crucial in avoiding disappointment afterward.

Some of the most honest hoaxes on online housing platforms are “panorama pictures.” The poster of the content might not want to deceive, but the viewer can get a distorted perception of a more spacious room. A Skype session can also clear up some of the “good angle distortions,” too.

3. Never pay without a written statement

A common scam that is reported on several websites is less easy to recognize, but is very dangerous. If someone “accepts” a lease and sends a check for a higher amount, it is not in your best interest to send them back the difference without having a contract signed. If their check bounces, it will already be too late.

The easiest way to make sure that does not happen, is to never pay anything without a written statement of subleasing, so you have some legal documents to back it up.

If you can filter out the hoaxes, there is a wide variety of living options for all students. With the help of certain websites, an efficient house hunt is just a few clicks away.

raeymak2@dailyillini.com