Tailgating recipes for the Homecoming game

By Isabella Jackson, Supplements editor

The Homecoming football game this fall will bring thousands of people to Grange Grove and the other areas outside of Memorial Stadium to tailgate before the game. Tailgates generally include food, drinks and a large amount of Illini spirit.

Since Grange Grove opened last fall, students have been able to reserve tailgate spots for free. The area is always busy, and includes fun activities for children, a tent selling Illini gear and a new beer tent. Before the Homecoming game, there will even be a free performance by Parmalee, a country band.

Tailgaters will bring food to serve and share, ranging from burgers and brats to pancakes before early games. These three recipes are delicious and simple, and fit the menu, whether you decide to tailgate before or after the game.

Pumpkin Bread

From allrecipes.com

This year’s homecoming game starts at 11:00 a.m., so some tailgaters will decide to serve breakfast food rather than burgers and hot dogs. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Illinois produces almost 80 percent of the country’s pumpkins, so what better place to enjoy some delicious orange pumpkin bread before a University of Illinois football game?

This bread takes about an hour to make, but is definitely worth the time. It can be topped with cream cheese icing for a sweeter treat or paired with coffee for breakfast.

Ingredients:

15 oz. pumpkin puree

4 eggs

1 c. vegetable oil

⅔ c. water

3 c. white sugar

3 ½ c. flour

2 tsp. baking soda

1 ½ tsp salt

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp ground nutmeg

½ tsp ground cloves

¼ tsp ground ginger

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease three bread pans.
  2. Mix pumpkin, eggs, vegetable oil and water in a large bowl.
  3. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger in a smaller bowl.
  4. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mix, beat until combined.
  5. Pour batter into bread pans. Bake for 50 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the middle.

Football Rice Krispie Treats

Adapted from food.com

These simple desserts take minutes to make and are portable, easy to share and delicious. Because they can be grabbed off the plate and eaten, there’s no need to bring additional utensils or plates.

Ingredients:

3 tbsp butter

6 c. mini marshmallows

9 c. Cocoa Krispies

White frosting

Directions:

1. Melt butter in a pan on the stove. Add mini marshmallows and stir until melted, making sure not to let it burn.
  2. Pour melted marshmallows and butter over Cocoa Krispies in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly and let cool for approximately 20 minutes.
  3. Roll mixture into a ball. Flatten on a cookie sheet, pinching the ends off into a football shape. Let cool completely.
  4. Spoon white frosting into plastic baggie. Snip off one corner of the bag and decorate football with white stripe.

Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip

Adapted from gimmesomeoven.com

Burgers, hot dogs and wings are some of the most common tailgating foods. To capture that buffalo wing flavor with very little work, try this crock pot buffalo chicken dip. It can be served with chips or vegetables and eaten warm or cold.

The recipe can be easily adapted to your preferences. Bleu cheese can be substituted for the cheddar, and the dish can be topped with chopped onions, sour cream or extra cheese. Feel free to increase or decrease the amount of buffalo sauce, depending on how spicy you want the dip to be.

Ingredients:

8 oz. cream cheese

2 cans chicken breast

¾ c. buffalo wing sauce

½ c. sour cream

2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

½ c. ranch dressing

Directions:

1. Add all ingredients in crock pot.
  2. Cook for 90 minutes on high or two to three hours on low. Enjoy with chips or vegetables.

Isabella is a junior in LAS.