Secret Santa gifts for every price limit

By Isabella Jackson, Supplements editor

Secret Santa gift exchanges are a lot of fun. They are a chance to show your friends how much they mean to you, and they are a fun distraction from finals.

However, Secret Santa gifts can present a unique challenge when you want to get your Secret Santa a great gift, but you need to adhere to a price limit.

Gifts under $10

Mug and coffee

Target, Walmart and other stores generally have large displays of fun mugs set out for the holidays. Some are pretty, others are funny and some are just huge — perfect for the caffeine addict in your life. Pick out a mug and fill it with hot chocolate packets, a $5 Starbucks gift card or coffee beans.

Cookie in a Jar

Buy a quart-sized mason jar and fill it with the dry ingredients for your favorite cookie recipe. Generally, this will include ingredients like flour, sugar, oatmeal, chocolate chips and baking soda — basically everything but the butter and eggs. Print out the instructions for baking the cookies and attach it to the jar with a festive ribbon. This gift is especially great if you have multiple gifts to buy because many of the ingredients will only require a small amount, and the rest can be used in other jars.

Gifts under $25

Winter gear

Cold winter weather is just around the corner, and your Secret Santa will appreciate a set of gloves, a scarf and a hat to keep them warm this January. For the Illini fan, Gameday and the Illini Union Bookstore sell winter gear in orange and blue. Otherwise, almost any department store will have a large selection of winter clothes in various colors. Specifically this winter, plaid blanket scarves are very in style and can be found in many stores.

Movie night

Although for many people, streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu are the main way to watch movies, there are still great films that are only found on DVD. Check out the $5 movie bin at a Target or Walmart to pick out a few of your favorites. Add microwave popcorn and boxes of M&Ms or Junior Mints, and you’ve given the gift of a great night in.

Gifts under $50

Noise cancelling headphones

While headphones can range anywhere from $10 to $400, there are pairs sold for under $50 that work very well. Because these headphones can help block the noise on airplanes, in the library or at the gym, they make a great gift for many people on your list. Specifically look for a pair with reviews that say they are comfortable and have good sound quality.

Dinner and a show

If you know your Secret Santa well, get them a gift card to their favorite restaurant and two tickets to a show at Krannert that they would enjoy. This is a great gift for the person who seems to have everything, and experiences are a great way to give a gift that will leave a lasting impression. Shows such as “Romeo and Juliet” and “Iago’s Plot” are coming to Krannert this spring

Spread the holiday cheer this winter by treating your Secret Santa to a wonderful gift that shows how much they mean to you.

Isabella is a junior in LAS.