Choosing to be a Resident Advisor

By Jillian Kaehler, Supplements writer

Resident Advisors, or RAs, at the University take on a lot of responsibility, in addition to their job of being a student.

Making the choice to be an RA can be a tough one because it means taking on a year of responsibility and an extra year of living in a dorm.

Harshita Reddy, senior in Engineering, is a RA at Bromley Hall. She lived in Bromley her freshman and sophomore years and decided to come back for her last year as an RA.

“I came into college not knowing many people from my high school, and not really having any friends, so this is where I found a lot of my best friends,” Reddy said.

While living in a dorm, many friendships form by sharing a sink, microwave and overall living space.

“Just the atmosphere, and the people that live here are so great. It always felt like it was home after that, and that’s why I came back as a senior RA,” Reddy said.

Meanwhile, RAs Carly Collins and Tiara Holman agree that working at Illini Tower is perfect, both professionally and personally.

Collins, a sophomore in LAS, is like many other RAs in the sense that she decided to work in the place she had previously lived.

“I lived here freshman year, so it was easy to jump on board. With private housing, and Illini Tower in particular, you just apply and get interviewed, and it is completed like a regular hiring process,” Collins said.

Holman, sophomore in AHS, agrees with her fellow Illini Tower co-worker in regards to the ease of coming to work at a place that you once lived.

“IT’s entire community is so welcoming. This job is also great on my resume,” she said.

Down the street from Illini Tower, and a block from the Main Quad, is Newman Hall, a private certified housing building attached to the St. John’s Catholic Church.

Natalie Brady, freshman in Business, is a Resident Advisor in training at Newman. She currently lives at Newman, and wants to give back to future students, as older students have to her.

“Living at Newman, there is a really unique aspect of community, and I wanted to be a part of that in a professional way. I want to be there for students that need help, and be of assistance in any way that I can, so I’m really looking forward to that aspect next year,” Brady said.

Brady explained that she is happy that she chose to be an RA at the same building that she once lived.

“Especially at such a big university, being at Newman is like having a smaller community where I know people and where people know me. I can always have a group of people that I feel at home with,” Brady said.

Brady’s co-worker, Alexandra Carter, is a Newman Ambassador and is working with Brady to get ready for the RA lifestyle.

Carter, a sophomore in LAS, also lived at Newman her freshman year, and currently lives there now, serving as a tour guide, recruiter and overall promoter of the Newman way of life.

“This community has allowed me to get some nice leadership experience, and become more connected to a place I feel so passionate about,” Carter said.

A common theme among all the private housing RAs is a sense of community, friendship and familiarity. They credit the dorms and their jobs as Resident Advisors with bringing them closer to their lifelong friends and for their heightened love of the university. Plus, the resume building is a definite perk.