Don’t become discouraged by job rejection

By Isra Rahman, Staff Writer

As summer ends, many ambitious college kids finish up their internships and add another hard-earned bullet to their resume. Summer internships have their perks of course, like added experience, letters of recommendation or course credit.

They also allow students to develop themselves professionally without sacrificing academics. Nevertheless, obtaining an internship can be difficult and the application process immensely taxing on self-esteem. Students usually have to apply to dozens of jobs just to get an interview, unless they have connections.

This past summer I took part in an internship at DNAinfo Chicago, a neighborhood news organization, and despite my previous connection with some of the editors, it still took countless emails to even get a response back.

Every organization has a different timeline for internship applications; some are more informal and some have hard-set deadlines. You’re best off being persistent and establishing your interest early on in the work that a company does.

Not getting discouraged by constant rejection is hard but understanding the sheer amount of students applying for the same position helps put your situation in perspective. There are dozens of students with almost identical applications applying for the same position.

As cliché as it sounds, diversifying yourself is the name of the game. Whether it be through an interesting family anecdote that led you to the field you’re pursuing, or a charity biking organization you’re part of, it is essential to show there is more to you than just academics.

Getting the internship is only half the work. Once I started working, I quickly realized how difficult being an intern can be. Most, if not all, internships are unpaid or low-paid. The work can range from getting coffee for the employees to actually getting in the field depending on the organization.

Preparing yourself for being part of the bottom of a chain of 50 or more people can be intimidating, but it is essential to understand that you’re there to gain the most and not necessarily give the most.

Most employers understand that underclassmen interns don’t have much to offer, but that they can make up for that in the hours and the passion they devote to work. The key, then, is to use your lack of experience as an asset and be open to different opportunities offered. Try to stand out to your future employers, and make yourself seem like the best applicant for the job.

Isra is a sophomore in LAS.