Tips and tricks on how to survive Quad Day

By Cindy Om, Design Editor

Apart from Gameday’s annual clearance sale, Quad Day is my favorite day of the year. You get to meet new people, and you get free food and T-shirts. Who doesn’t love free food and T-shirts? I know I do. I have a collection of T-shirts and sunglasses.

Quad Day can be a bit overwhelming, but I’ve put together some tips and tricks on how to survive Quad Day:

Go early

All of the good stuff runs out fast. Go earlier in the day to get all the goodies. I recommend going when it starts. The best items to get are T-shirts. You can wear them anywhere. I wear my shirts to the gym, and I use them as pajamas, too. During sophomore year, I made the mistake of going later in day, and I did not get a single T-shirt, as opposed to freshman year where I got three. If you want a T-shirt, go early.

Pick a side

The Main Quad is going to be full of booths and people. I recommend you pick a side and start from there. Picking a place to start allows you to see all the booths. I always like to start at the Illini Union and make my way around. After I make a full lap on the Main Quad, I start tackling the diagonals.

Go with a buddy

If you are a bit nervous about approaching new people, bring a friend! You can go to the booths together and it will be less intimidating. It’s also nice to have someone you know in a big crowd, because the Main Quad can get crowded quickly.

Sign up at your own discretion

Do not sign up for everything. Sign up for clubs you are genuinely interested in. If you sign up for everything, you’ll have a ton of emails in your inbox. During my freshman year, I made the mistake of  giving out my information to too many booths. I got emails all the time. I spent about 30 minutes unsubscribing to all the clubs. However, if you don’t mind getting a ton of emails, sign up for everything.

Watch the Marching Illini

My favorite part of Quad Day is the Marching Illini, the University of Illinois marching band. The band performs on the steps of Foellinger Auditorium. They perform the fight song and a mixture of other songs. It is like a sneak peak of what the football games will be like.

Bring a bag

You will get a ton of paper, pamphlets and a mixture of other items. It’s good to store all the items in a bag so you can keep your hands free, which allows you to get more items.

Bring a water bottle

It will most likely be hot and you will get thirsty. Bring a water bottle to keep hydrated. Some booths give out water and other drinks, but it is always a good idea to bring your own.

Quad Day will forever have a special place in my heart. It marks the beginning of the school year, and it is a day filled with excitement. It is also the way I found out about The Daily Illini. I was somewhat interested at the time, and now, three years later, I’m the design editor of the paper. I’m definitely looking forward to my last Quad Day. Come to our booth and let’s talk!

Cindy is a senior in Media.