Find places to satisfy your caffeine addiction

By Brendan McGovern

Like most college students, my day doesn’t start until I have my first sip of morning coffee. Regardless of how my day is going, a cup of coffee never fails to make things better. Giving me productivity and positivity, coffee in any form has become an essential component of my college experience.

If you find yourself in this same boat, fear no more. Iced, hot, steamed or blended, the University has plenty of coffee shops and stands to get your daily fix of caffeine.

Campus coffee shops can be a great place to study, meet with professors and work on group projects. Often times, between soft background music, sounds of the espresso bar and the sweet aroma of coffee, these cafes create the perfect environment to knock out all your weekend homework. Here are a few coffee shops you can find across campus.

Espresso Royale

Perhaps the most picturesque college town coffeehouse, Espresso Royale is the perfect place to caffeinate before a long day of classes. Between iced coffee, lattes, mochas and blended beverages, Espresso Royale has something for everyone.

Not only does this coffeehouse have great deals for students like $2.50 latte Wednesdays and free flavor shots, Espresso Royale has four convenient locations on campus. You can find a corporate store at 1117 W. Oregon St. in Urbana as well as licensed stores within Grainger Engineering Library, the Undergraduate Library and the Business Instructional Facility.

My favorite part of Espresso Royale is their free drink punch cards. After purchasing ten drinks, your eleventh is free. Once you have reached this level, you have become a seasoned regular.

Starbucks

Like Espresso Royale, there are many Starbucks peppered across campus. No matter where you are on campus, you can find a nearby Starbucks just around the corner. In addition to licensed stores inside the Illini Union and bookstore, you can find Starbucks at 1103 W. Oregon St. in Urbana.

Often times, unlike Starbucks in other areas, the on-campus locations will offer deals like any pastry item for $3 after 3 p.m. in addition to the deals found on the app.

With several locations at the center of campus, Starbucks makes a great place to get homework done between classes or make a stop for your afternoon pickup.

Einstein Bagels

Like Starbucks, Einstein Bagels is located in the Illini Union. Not only do they serve bagels, pastries and breakfast food, Einstein Bagels also carried Caribou Coffee.

If you live near the Ikenberry Commons, stop by the Einstein Bagels stand located on the first floor of the Armory on your way to class. This is a great stop if you are in a rush and need caffeine fast.

Caffe Paradiso

Of all the coffee shops on campus, Caffe Paradiso is perhaps the most unique. Located in its own corner in Urbana, this coffeehouse is a cozy, homelike shop that makes the perfect environment for studying. Along with specialty coffees and flavors, Caffe Paradiso has great dessert option such as ​tiramisu, matchamisu, cakes and cookies.

If you are new to campus this coming fall, Caffe Paradiso is a must see if you love coffee.

While these shops are just some of the options available on campus, they hold great options for when you need some caffeine to get through the school day. No matter where you find yourself on campus, coffee shops are here for you.

Brendan is a sophomore in LAS.