Greek life provides community for all backgrounds

By Frankie Blanco and Frankie Blanco

At the University, Greek organizations play a huge role in campus life. Students join these organizations for the opportunity to meet new people and to develop a sense of community. The four fraternity and sorority councils are the Interfraternity Council, Black Greek Council, Panhellenic Council and the United Greek Council. Historically, Greek organizations excluded people of different races and backgrounds to participate, with discriminatory rules in place.

As times have changed, so have these regulations. These practices no longer exist, and Greek life is far more inclusive than it used to be. Furthermore, efforts have been made by the United Greek Council and the Black Greek Council to offer a sense of community for students who were previously excluded from these organizations. Now, students can join fraternities and sororities that emphasize the inclusivity of these marginalized groups of people. The councils’ goal is to promote a sense of familiarity and unity among people who share common backgrounds, experiences and cultures.

For Alondra Lopez, senior in Media, her experience being in a multicultural sorority provided a sense of community.

“As a minority, it can be hard to feel like you belong in such a big  (primarily white institution), (and) with the option of joining a Latina based sorority, I felt way more comfortable and at-home on campus,” Lopez said. “It provided me with a sisterhood that felt familiar even though I was far away from home.”

Many students had a childhood in which their culture was regularly implemented into their daily lives, making it difficult to transition to a place where that experience is no longer prominent. While college is the time and place to branch out, that does not mean students should erase their foundation. Where a person comes from is extremely important in shaping an individual and influences every aspect of their life.

For that reason, Lopez joined Kappa Delta Chi by attending recruitment events hosted the second semester of her freshman year. She wanted to surround herself with people who shared a common interest in the Latino/Hispanic culture while simultaneously meeting new people. Aside from providing a newfound sense of community in an unfamiliar place, the sorority offers other networking opportunities.She said the girls push and inspire each other to prosper and achieve their personal and academic goals.

Similarly, David Rocha, senior in LAS, enjoys having the support system his multicultural fraternity provides him. Before joining Omega Delta Phi, he said he did not have anyone around him to encourage positivity and success. Other than his own family back home, he felt alone, searching for a group of people to call his friends and motivate him. This feeling is typical for most college students because adjusting to the new environment can feel challenging and discouraging.

Rocha believes without his Omega Delta Phi brothers, he would struggle to find people who value unity and diversity as he does. This ultimately would have deprived him of finding people he would have connected with otherwise.

“I would strongly recommend people to join multicultural frats or sororities simply because they give you a whole different (perspective) in life, and it’s where you see the true meaning of brotherhood and sisterhood,” Rocha said. “The countless opportunities and different views within the cultures is an amazing aspect that creates those strong bonds and connections with one another.”

It’s fair to say coming to college for the first time can be intimidating. Most people seek a community where they can be supported, have fun and meet new people. Unfortunately, the effects of past discriminatory policies can still be seen throughout Greek organizations and can discourage minority students from rushing. Today, councils such as the United Greek and Black Greek Councils have created spaces for people of all races and backgrounds to participate. So, if the idea of coming to a primarily white institution is scary, there are ways to get involved with people from similar cultures and backgrounds. Joining a multicultural fraternity or sorority is just one of them, but it is certainly something to consider trying out.

Frankie is a sophomore in LAS.